Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,410 Times in 12,421 Posts

Click "Go Advanced" see emoticons at the right, then click on "more"

The "little fiddler" is doing something we rarely ever saw Mr. Benny do . . . actually play the thing.

Oh Rochester... ?

Yassuh! Mistah Benny!
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,104 Posts

Dean ;I posted just the other night ,I never get on this site ,I don't learn something ,and here we go again !!!!!!!!
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Dean's little fidler was...are you ready?...on the roof Sorry I just couldn't resist.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Unread 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Well, to bring you guys up to date ,A good friend and myself ,took off early this morning to a covert we hunted a year ago ,Last year we moved a half dozen birds around after a good snow ,we thought maybe this would be a good place to try,this year we didn't have any luck at all ,lots of feed and the cover hadn't changed any ,at least there are no homes or shopping malls there ! We did have a Bear moving ahead of us ,we didn't see it but came across old tracks and found where he has been holed up ,up against a steep blow down and had fresh tracks going away ,so we figured we pushed him this morning ,then on the way back out the tram road we drove in on from the truck window ,we cut his tracks again crossing the road .When we got out to the hard road there was a small flock of turkey, we could see 10 birds crossing in front of us heading into the grape vine thicket on the left side of the cover we hunted earlier, you could plainly see two long beards in the group ,beautiful in the deep snow and the bright sunlight of the late morning ! But as I started this thread " Still Birdless " at least till next time !
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Russ,

I wish you the best with your hunt. I do a lot of walking for the few birds I get in the winter. I often say I am basically going for a walk but taking a shotgun along just in case. Our forest is too mature in general and we have a lot of steep ground where most people just won't venture. I take ny walks up hill and down and we get a few.

My part of Alaska is not known for good Ruffed Grouse hunting in fact thay just started getting established here strating 19 years ago. Our limit is two whereas in the northern part of the state limits can be as high as 15.

Last year I think that we got three birds dutring the whole winter. This year is off to a great start with five birds located and shot over the last five weekends in five different areas.

I encourage you to keep walking; like us you may not get many but hopefuylly you will get some. In my case the dogs love it and each bird is a unique and essentailly rare expereince. I will think of you the next time I am out.

My young dog Shinne is doing well which is a pleasure for me. Shine got his first Ruffed Grouse in Alberta Canada in the last few days of September and I just saw today that Bob Brown just posted a picture of it in photo Friday. It was pleasure for me. I did not know there was a picture of that dog's first wild bird experience. It was a short bird hunt; I had gone to look for Grouse with Bob's friend Brett while Bob picked Rich Flanders up at the airport. It was late and we got to hunt less than 30 minutes and had the great good fortune to find and harvest my dog's first Ruffed Grouse.

Again I wish you the best finding birds. I may get out and look for some myself this weekend by exploring a new area. Probably it will be just a walk, but I will carry a nice light gun and one can always hope to find oner more elusived Ruffed Grouse.

All the birds I do get have the meat go to the table but the crop and various other parts go to the local unvirsities and a project to ascertain what these birds are eating, where there located, etc. This is sponsered in part by our local Ruffed Grouse Society.

Trigg

Trigg
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Trigg; Great to hear from you and I am glad for you to have Shines first Grouse on film ,Years ago ,our area was great for Grouse and 15 to 20 flushes a day more frequent than not ,any more ,a bird or two a season tickles me ,80 miles north or so some of my buddies have hunting camps and they don't bother with the birds but they say they flush quite a few during bear and deer seasons ,I am always welcomed to hunt birds up there ,its just tough to find the time to hunt and throw in a 160 to 200 mile round trip with it ! Oh believe me I will keep walking ,I look at these birds as each one being a special " Trophy " I have a half day hunt already planned for Sat. morning ,we will see what happens there !
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Russ, this is my driveway this morning. Twenty yards into the edge of the woods a bruiser buck strolled by last week . . . I mean a real bruiser!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045.JPG (456.1 KB, 23 views)
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Don't know why this didn't load before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 038.JPG (334.7 KB, 22 views)