Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Farrell View Post
Pray, Tony - what is your puzzlement?

Hie thee downe to the local gunne smith and ask him to vernier caliper the choke end of the barrels. Then decipher the vernier caliper reading and compare it to his chart of choke constrictions and you, at least, have the answer to how much choke is in the gun.
My 'puzzlement' ... John, relates to the 2 sets of choke stampings on the same gun, which by all accounts are poles apart in size and expected performance.

As suggested in my post, the actual bore / choke dimensions are not important ( I find I hit most things that I point the gun at and my money is on the gun being choked the more open Q1 and Q2 ) however, the value I find in this wonderful forum is the revelation of the sometimes 'odd or quirky' tidbits of information relating to the guns we love.

I considered my little 'puzzle' may have provided some interest to someone so inclined.
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Guccioni View Post
Due to the overwhelming repetition of the above advice ... I accept it without too much hesitation, accept that I have a Winchester Model 23 SxS 'Golden Quail' 12 Ga. which has it's barrels stamped Quail 1 and Quail 2 AND I/C and I/M.

(As we all know the Win 23s were made alongside the Parker Repros.)

I have sought and gained 'qualified 'opinions from a few local Winchester afficionados ... Besides a unanimous verdict of the markings being original the only other outcome is confusion as to the correlation between choke desriptions.

I know a bore gauge will determine which set of choke markings is correct, but that's not the cause of my puzzlement.
That is odd. Maybe they weren't sure which was which...
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote