Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave,
The shotgun in all the pics is the Parker Repo. 20ga/16ga set.

193253 is the original which is definitely an everyday shooter which had a Miller single trigger added. I still have the original stock, however it currently is wearing a straight forward rear that I had made years ago because the dimensions were such I couldn't shoot the original. Since it has already been worked on, I'm considering having it done right in the near future.
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,794 Times in 652 Posts

I passed on a 16 ga. 3" gun at a local gun show about 6 yrs ago. I have been kicking myself ever since.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Learning my way around forum posting and protocol. A big thanks to all.
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Harry,
Like Bill said a research letter could prove very interesting. Do your hang tags say 3" chambers or perhaps chambered for 3" shells? Parker typically bored there chambers 1/8" shorter than the intended ammo. Below is a research letter for a 16 gage Parker. You will notice the 2 7/8" chamber length presumably for 3" ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF03012010_00000.jpg (58.2 KB, 12 views)
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Larry,
I may or may not do the research letter. I know who the original owner was before it passed to my Father and then me. The shotgun has been used hard, has had some changes made: Miller trigger and stock, although I still have the original butt stock and a re-blue. I will have a GS friend do a measurement of the chambers to see what they mic out at.

The stories I wish I knew are about the hunts it's been on. The trips to S.D. during the heyday of Pheasants when one could just go and ask permission to hunt what must have seemed and endless supply of Wild birds. The Ruffed Grouse that have fallen and been missed over it barrels. The Dogs it has gunned over. The camps in whose corners it has leaned up against. The men who have picked it up and sighted down its barrels, then went and ordered their own or made a spoken or silent vow to do so.

The stories lost in time that are now told by others in a different place.
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Welcome aboard Harry

I'll second the mention of my friend Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids, MI. he is a master gunmaker with 30 solid years "on the bench"-- if you have last Fall's issue of Parker Pages, there is an article I wrote, with his resarch and input, about a GHE "Project Parker" 12 he put together for me. A pristine AHE it is NOT, but it fits me perfectly and shoots like a house afire- The buttstock he found was cracked at the wrist (pg style) and he repaired it, you can't even see a crack in the checkering- he is also repairing my son-in-law's Browning BA .270Win scope deer rifle-again, a crack in the grip area from a slip and fall in the deer stand last Nov.

You can reach him at 616-459-3636 EST Tuesdays through Fridays 10:00 to 5:00. Brad is a fellow member of the PGCA, and is also a skilled metal, blueing, case coloring and other aspects of gunsmithing as well. I have a 16 PH on the O frame made in 1908- I may have Brad fit a set of 16 Proof steel barrels to it- We have many fine brothers on the PGCA that are equally as qualified as Brad, it's just that I don't live near them. Anyone endorsed by a PGCA member is a safe bet for your stock repair.

I sometimes come across Parker and Smith stocks, but older series, not the Repro as you are looking for, but if something comes along, I'll send you a personal e-mail on our site- you never can tell. I have seen some repros with very stunning wood grain and finish-beautiful indeed!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Francis,
Joel Etchen from Etchen Guns and his stock man Mark Schimchak are friends of mine and I'm sure Mark can do the work and refinish the entire stock. It needs it. If not I will give your suggestion a go. The crack while significant is clean and I have a feeling he will be up to the task.

Thanks, seems like a good group. Sure I will be lurking around and when the time comes will have a few questions. Why do I think that is going to cost me some dollars? But then the Daughter is out of school, working and they have their own place.

Addition: One question: How do I stop reply notices coming to my phone? I have unchecked what seem to be all applicable boxes in the user CP edit.
Joel Etchen? Rudy Etchen's son?
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Joel Etchen? Rudy Etchen's son?

Talk about your "let the good times roll" you sure have a winner there. The late Gene Hill wrote so often about Rudy Etchen's skills with a scattergun. I believe Rudy's father, President of Studebaker years ago, was also mentioned in the Dave Riffle book on the Model 12- developed a certain grip style named for him, ditto the rifleman's grip the Wundhammer, named for that now gone great craftsman in walnut-

I learn something every time I log in- never ending quest for knowledge not just about our beloved Parkers, but shells, loads, calls, decoys, clays shooting, sippin' whiskies and even whiskys too-

If you need help with a message or phone question, 'fraid you done come to de goat house lookin' for wool-- Hi-Tech is NOT my thing--nor is great grammar or writing skill. But there are many members who have mastered this Internet web-site thing, shoot, some can even post some pretty swell fotos too. PGCA- it doesn't get any better than this!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rudy, Joel's Father and Fred his Grandfather have won it all. State Championships, Grand American Championships, World Pigeon Championships, Olympic Gold. It goes on and on.

Joel himself has won Grand American Event Championships and so has his daughter Rebbecca. I've shot Sporting with Joel on a few occasions and if he put his mind to it instead of trap, he would be better than good. I've said it before, he has the right blood lines when it comes to shooting a shotgun.

In keeping with the Parker theme, a few years back I had in my hands Rudy's 28ga-C Grade I think-Parker. It was special. At the time it was for sale. Not sure if the transaction was ever completed.