Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Patrick Devlin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ah I can just imagine sitting on the ice and smelling the deer steaks sizzling on the old Colman, not a bad way to spend a winters day.

Pat
Patrick Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Kurt,

If you get into some crow shooting give me a call. I haven't been in ages but am a pretty decent crow caller still.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

NJ regular waterfowl season ends on Tuesday. The warmer weather has opened Barnegat Bay and the old Sandy Island Gun Club...I have my invitation. We have 2 days scheduled in MD at the end of the week but I fear the dreaded "business conflict" may raise its evil head on both counts...it may be over for me as well...

Last edited by Don Kaas; 01-22-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry.
You might want to shoot Eider, but have you ever tasted one. i dont think you will cook a second one.
i hope this note finds you in good health.
Peter.
peter holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Peter,

Good to see you posting again. How was your season on the foreshore?

I've not ever eaten eider but I have eaten long tailed duck which they say is the roughest of all the ocean going waterfowl. We shot them on Monday and it took till Thursday for the lady to make them palatable through various operations and soakings.

The man to ask would be King Brown, they shoot a ton of sea ducks up his way in Nova Scotia and I'm sure he's eaten them all.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
Patrick Devlin
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have an old chessie, Cider, that has eaten everything from large rocks to my wife's underwear but will turn her nose up at a well cooked eider. I have found that marinating in butter milk for 24 hours does improve the taste substantially.

Pat
Patrick Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry.
Still 3 weeks of the season to go. I have had an average season so far, approximately 270 widgoen, 35 mallard,40 teal, 80 geese, plus snipe, golden plover, pheasants and grouse.
Health issues have stopped me going out as much as i would have liked. I have had to give up work due to ongoing arthritus problems, but you gotta keep going.
best wishes pete.
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Peter,

That's average???!!! I usually kill around 80-100 ducks and 25-40 geese a year, to me that's average. This year I didn't quite hit 100 on the ducks and the geese came up wayyyy short of normal. If you've taken that much game you've had quite a year by my standards.

Do you ever do any decoying for plover? I had the opportunity to do that on one of my trips over your way and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my sporting life.

I've still not killed a red grouse or a gray partridge, I need to get back over there and do that one of these days.

Regards,
Destry
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #19
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry.
I decoy the goldies when there are big tides, this pushes them of the mud flats and onto the fields next to the marshes. they decoy well, its a technique that the old victorian gunners used. They make fantastic sport and are definately one of the best eating birds taken on the foreshore. It makes it even more memorable when shooting them with my old higham 16g muzzleloader, though the VH20 sorts them out with just as much satifaction.

As for partridge, i prefer to shoot partridge than pheasant i personally think partridge are a lot more testing to shoot than pheasant, though not as testing as grouse, but grouse shooting is very expensive. as a result its not often i get the oportunity to shoot grouse.

Peter.
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
bruce willis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow Mr. holden thats a lot of ducks and geese! Do you eat all those ducks and geese? That's 345 ducks and 80 geese plus other birds. I agree with Mr. hoffard that my total amount of ducks is much more humble.
bruce willis is offline   Reply With Quote