Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

You under estimate me Mr. Romig..... But it was fun while it was here..
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,104 Posts

Thank you all for the ideas ,I will look into this deeper ,Sorry it took so long for a Thank You Reply ,I just got in from Work , 12 14 AM . Thanks again ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,666 Times in 3,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
A word of caution... Before attempting to fit Repro barrels to an original Parker or any barrels from one Parker to another, be it an original or Repro Remove The Cocking Hook From The Barrel Lug First!!
Because they won't always un-latch?
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,945 Times in 4,792 Posts

That's it, Edgar. I tried barrels on Parkers for nearly fifty years before getting one stuck. However, it was truly stuck.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's what I figured, because to this day I remember how terrified I was when I took the 30" tubes off my dad's CHE and put them on his 26" BHE.
I was down in the gun room and he was upstairs. Shear panic. Fortunately, the gun would open fully, so there was adequate room to remove the hook screw, poke it out, and get them off.
That was probably 40 years ago, but I surely will never forget those 10 minutes seeing my short life pass before my eyes.

Someone asked me if the 26" tubes went on the CHE OK. Having narrowly dodged a horrible death, I never got that far. I can't remember if I ever fessed up to my dad, but since there was no harm in the end, I bet I didn't.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,945 Times in 4,792 Posts

The "Dad" thing gives me the creeps. When I got a set of fluid steel barrels stuck on my favorite GH 20 gauge, there was no Dad around, but I still got chills thinking about what I had done. I could not get the screw exposed, so I had to take it to someone who could solve the problem. Russ Bickel got me out of my misery and I thank him for his sympathy and skill.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,727 Times in 4,643 Posts

I have a set of ESC Vickers & Co. Barrels on my P grade. They are nice barrels and the fit is good. Only a little low in the dollshead area in relation to the receiver. However, I think the company that made them are long out of business.

I have actually seen two other guns with these type of barrels on them. One is a GH 20g. on GB now. And the other is in Ed Good's collection.
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

They may be out of business Brian, but having been involved with British manufacturing most of my working career, I can say they go through more variations and iterations of their names. It's entirely possible they were bought, reorganized or otherwise reincarnated with another name, which likely may incorporate the Vickers name. The original Vickers name originated in the Sheffield area as metals manufacturers. Out of that company, many other Vickers groups were spawned including the gun manufacturer of WW1 fame. There were a few joint companies over here from Vickers parentage also; notably Sperry-Vickers, one of the only two US periscope manufacturers (the other being Kollmorgen)
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Vickers made very nice microscopes that are right up there with Zeiss and Leitz of the same vintage. I just received a couple of vintage Vickers wave plates from the UK that will fit my Zeiss Jr polarizing scope. They are very nice plates and have a very desirable feature no one else incorporated. Definitely high quality keepers.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Damn Richard, you reminded me of a trip I made to Detroit when I was a kid. My dad wanted me to go out to an auction at a big metallurgical lab and buy a photo-micrograph. I did, but got caught up in the auction enthusiasm, and also bought a Vickers Photo-micrograph, ca. 1935ish. Built like a work of art, polished brass, the works. Problem was, it took 5x7" sheet film, so was too expensive to use. But it sure was pretty to look at. I think I traded it for a steam engine.