Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,406 Posts

I would also like to add the following, how much has the site done in the last ten years to enhance the pleasure of owning a Parker through providing research letters? I discovered one of the earliest versions of the site some 10 years ago and I was thrilled to get a research letter on the Parker I have owned and wondered about the longest. Additionally through contacts made here how many of us have benefitted from being able to sell and to buy a Parker to or from other members through our personal contacts that were started right here? How many have received good advice of where to turn for parts, repairs and restoration and learned of people doing fantastic work in other parts of the country from where we live? How many of us learned of shooting matches that we could travel to and participate in and at least know of someone in this group who was there to talk with even briefly? How many of you have through contacts made here been allowed to see, handle and even shoot a Parker that you would otherwise never see? (Thank you again John for letting me shoot your Grandfather's fabulous AAHE trap gun on a round of trap)

I for one have learned a fantastic amount here in the last decade, information that has let me grow, find repairs when needed and restore when needed/desired my own modest collection of Parker shotguns.

It's a bit perplexing that anyone who has participated in this forum or simply read and gleaned information over a period of years would either dismiss the site or feel the need to come to it's defense.

This site is not perfect, but it is often entertaining, interesting and helpful in my enjoyment of Parker shotguns. Thank you John for keeping it together and thank you to all parties who make it available.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Here is my PGCA website story,

I was introduced to Parkers a couple years ago with an offer for me to purchase a DHE 20 from a member of my shooting club. At the time I owned LC Smiths, which are a fine gun, an RBL, Merkels, Beretta, and Winchester SxS's. In the time since I bought that little 20 my knowledge of Parkers has increased a thousand times. Much of that new knowledge was gained, or at least the learning was initiated from this site. Via this site I have developed friendships with Parker guys from not only Michigan but throughout this country. That has rarely happened from other gun sites. This PGCA site offers to its participants the opportunity to become am active part of a community of fellow enthusiasts.

To my fellow PGCA members and forum participants, THANK YOU!

Most respectfully,
Mark

PS: My gun safe now holds many Parkers, Smiths, a few new Foxes, and a couple LeFevers. It has many less SxS made after 1930 than it held two years ago. See what one little Parker can do!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gentlemen:

How about letting a newbie join in on this discussion and what I saw as a newcomer. I joined 6 months ago and the reason I joined had a lot to do with this website and what I saw. I saw a very well thought out website with a very enlightening and entertaining forum. I saw members that were willing to share their knowledge with newcomers, to share even with folks that were not members. I saw a group of people eager to pass on the history of Parker and the pride they have in owning, shooting, collecting, and hunting with a Parker. I saw a group of dedicated members whose knowledge and willingess to share far exceeded any other organization I had ever been a member of and who prided themselves on keeping current.

My hat is off to this organization and the hard work that John and others have done and who seldom ask for nor receive credit for their time and effort. I thank all of you for providing me with responses that were informative and helpful. Now, I didn't always follow the advice given but it was helpful to get different thoughts from more experienced people who spoke their opinions with thoughtfulness.

Keep up the great work and your willingness to share and this organization will continue to grow as the best of the best.

John
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to John R. Richards For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,169 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
OK guys, I give, there seems to be quite a few who believe the website is valuable to them. I deleted my prior post questioning the value of the forum. I know its addictive and I am as guilty as anybody else about spending time here. Remember that the PGCA is 1200 or so members strong and we have added and retained a little under 100 members per year. I am member #171 and joined when we didn't have a forum or a website because I saw an ad in the DGJ . Still, out of 1200 members, it looks like we only have 25-50 that are regulars here yet from everything I hear, it occupies a substantial portion of management time and expense far out of proportion to the number of PGCA members using it.

So have it.

Bruce Day
Kansas City
Bruce,

I have absolutely no idea where you come up with your "facts" - but, they have little to do with anything.....

In fact, there are over 220 on this site who are PGCA "Members" - and close to 90% of those have a substantial number of posts...??

Insofar as the "..substantial portion of management time and expense far out of proportion to the number of PGCA members using it.... - I would ask you to quantify that, yet, I am certain you are unable to do that - with you not knowing either the "management time" nor "expense".

To your point of being member #171, I think it's wonderful - but has no bearing on anything of importance. In my world, someone has to be Member #171, and it might as well be you as anyone else?

Frankly - I have no idea what your personal agenda is by publicly and continually ridiculing and belittling this forum, it's members and users - but thought I would take a moment to introduce some facts as a basis and future fodder for your rhetoric, should you be so inclined.

Have a wonderful day,

John
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

John,

Don't knock yourself out over this, he just doesn't get it, never has and never will... The many positive comments posted this past week in support of the PGCA web-site and your efforts here speak volumes about how a good majority currently feel regarding the Parker forums...

Whatever Bruce's personal agenda of "continually ridiculing and belittling this forum, it's members and users", ---- We are All better than to let One discontent spoil it for the rest...

Best, CSL

Unread 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

It's your baby John. Have at it, and I'm sure you're right about everything and there is no room in discussion. I deleted the post expressing an opinion.
Good luck.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,448 Times in 12,438 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts....

This forum (from this PGCA Member's point of view) isn't about "what can I get out of it" but more about what can I contribute to the discussion or to the knowledge base of Parker guns and related subjects. This forum is for members of every level but more so, again in my opinion, for those who happen upon this site while searching the Internet for anything having to do with "Parker" and "Parker Gun". It exists for everybody's benefit - not "mine". It exists for the person who never posts but checks in daily. It exists for the guy who has dozens of the nicest Parkers as well as for the lady who just inherited one. It exists for the social networking of PGCA Members and forum members. It exists, more than simply as a research source, but for many it exists for the comraderie and the fun. It is many things to many people but in my opinion... there is no "I" in the PGCA.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Bingo!.....
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,169 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled Shot View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.........
Simply a terrific post, Sir... Well said.. All of it....

Thanks for taking the time to post that......

john
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Sir?....Aw John don't go callin him that. The next thing you know he will want us to bow in his presence......