Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Names
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,293 Times in 862 Posts

Default Names

I agree with Dean but go a little farther. The name on the shield [I have to admit that's the first one have seen like that] could help you build a provenance for the gun. A good provenance could make it more valuable to the outside world and it could make it priceless to you.
I find it very hard to sell a gun that I know the history of.
But if you read what I write about you know my weakness already.
By the way- thats a great gun.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,667 Times in 3,138 Posts

I guess it's just me, and since I have a twin to it, but I wouldn't part with mine for 1200 or anywhere near it. I love the hell out of shooting it. Those barrels are great.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with Edgar. Or is it Tedgar, I forget. That gun is to nice to let go for a $600.00 store credit. The salesman knows what you have, and what it's worth.
Also the family history is priceless. Please clean it and shoot it. I would.
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
J.Fife
Forum Associate

Member Info

I try to find out the name and any info on the person.
So the consensus is one in this condition would generally sell for around $1000-$1200?

Also, what "off the shelf" shells can I shoot through it safely?

Thanks everyone.
J.Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

What your gun is worth is what you would take for it, but all you need to do is go on one of the G sites (Guns America, Guns International, and Gun Broker) and see what 'like guns are being offered. I think you'll find that the asking prices for a Grade 2 hammer gun on a 1 frame are listed for more than your 'ball park valuation'.
As for what to shoot, RST Maxi-Lites are ideal for it.
I'd recommend that you give yourself a Christmas present of an annual membership in the PGCA, and get a letter on the gun. Just because the serial number doesn't show up in the serialization book doesn't mean that there isn't info on the gun.
Any additional fishing for a valuation will begin to smell like a solicitation ,and possibly get the thread deleted.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
J.Fife
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you to all who have offed some insight. Like I mentioned in the first post, I am not interested in selling the gun. I just wanted an opinion on value for insurance reasons, along with the fact that I just want to know what I had acquired (being this is my first Parker).

Although I am not interested in putting many rounds through it, I will look for some RST Maxi-Lites. I am a little curious how this shoots. Thanks for the recommendation.

Again, thanks for the help.
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

You can buy directly from RST.

http://www.rstshells.com/
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'd have to be pretty hungry to sell that for $1200, especially if it was a family gun with some history. It looks like a very nice and very shootable gun that any of us would love to own.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with all the above, particularly Messrs. Flanders and Dudley. The owner, by offering store credit for the gun, is probably clipping you for at least 40%, thus paying a measley $360 for the gun. As judge Judy would say 'OUTRAGEOUS'.

AND, there is no way I'd sell a family heirloom (that cheap) nice as that gun is.

Shoot the hell out of it, use RST's, and don't worry about diminishing its value by using it. That's what I do with my (only) Parker anyway. If you start shooting it....bet you'll want another. I sure do.
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Stucker For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
J.Fife
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would add a few more questions to this one.

As many have stated, I am really becoming interested in this new Parker I have and Parker's in general. Spending lot's of time reading up on them and looking at others...may have been bitten by a bug. I think I may take edgarspencer's advice and get myself an Xmas gift of a membership.

Couple questions I have;
Any good cleaning tips? What would be the best method to remove the surface rust in the pics....as well as blemishes on the Damascus barrel?

Also, what exactly does it mean if "the numbers are not in the book"? I plan on gathering info on the history of this Parker.

Lastly, I mostly only hunt whitetail. I would like to take this in the field to give it a try, and was curious what most would hunt with a gun like this. Where I live, game birds can be though to find. (sorry for the "new guy" questions, but I have never shot double barrel antiques)