Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Theo,

No, that's the chase boat for the sinkbox they run up there. All bluebill decoys and they're huge, larger than goose floaters even. We always go too early to catch the diver flight, just been out in the sinkbox up there one day. We go for the marsh gunning and it's tremendous.

The pic where I'm rowing the sneakboat shows one of my rigs. Wooden boat built probably in the 30's, the decoys are all cork by Tom Humberstone.

John,

That big #3 frame 12 gauge certainly does the job and it will kill them further than I'm able to shoot.

Charlie,

Hopefully I'll be back down that way come fall, hopefully we can get together. The 9 degree weather is something you love only after you're back home and thinking about all the ducks you've killed. When you're sitting out in that boat with the wind blowing on you it's kinda like torture.

Regards,
Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Twenty - thirty years ago, I used to attend Pt Moulie, not sure of the spelling, and I always enjoyed seeing boats like yours.

Tom is the last of a breed, making pure hunting decoys to withstand the rigors of the sport. We have traded a few decoys back and forth, and I just picked a pair of wood goldeneyes he made me and brought to St Charles. Your a fortunate man to have a rig of his birds.

Classic duck boats, wooden decoys, and old doubles, we both certainly dance to the same drummer. I vacation at my parents cottage in the Irish Hills in Michigan each summer, if you do not live to far, I would enjoy meeting you and talking over a pair of El Rey Del Mundo Robusto Supremos!
Theodore LeDurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great story about your dad! It's always a pleasure being able to spend time with family in the woods or on the water.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,798 Times in 3,968 Posts

while drinking coffee and telling stories maybe i can look over the famous swamp angel.... i predict this gun to go down inhistory as one of the finest duck guns ever made...stories will be told over many a dinner at the cabins and homes of waterfowl shooters for a while.. hope you and the SWAMP ANGELhave many more hunts..each tell will get taller and taller as the years go by i hopeto be able to tell some of those stories..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Theo,

I'm about 30 or 40 minutes from that area so definitely get in touch when you're around the area. I go down to Brooklyn, MI to shop at Knutson's on occasion so I could make it a joint effort.

Charlie,

I thank you for the kind words, I doubt my guns ever achieve much fame but this one is certainly a nice one to have and a duck killer.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I can vouch for Destrys 34" "wundergun"... why, it'll swat a bufflehead nearly out to the horizon!!!.... if you have enough shells along.....

That's a great story of your dad's triple. Very nice.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

It didn't take that many shells, it just took me a long time to get the duck because I got in my mind I didn't want to waste another so I'd just catch it in the shallows. Yeah, that didn't work out so well, it was just a little quicker than I was.......

Destry
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Destry.
Looks like you had some good shooting. I never knew there is a Ross goose in the US isn't
it funny how you can learn something new every day.
All the best Dave Ross.
david ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yup, they're sort of like a lesser snow goose. I was really happy to bag those three, I'd never even seen one before that day.

Destry
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: