Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Opening Page Do you Like....
Option #1 -Current opening page - Parker of the Month 31 75.61%
Option #2 - Proposed opening page - Parker History 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,184 Times in 829 Posts

As the vote is 2:1 to 3:1 (it waivers back and forth ) - I'll share my view as a PGCA Member.

My view is similar to Robin's and Richard's - and exactly mirrors Jack's.

The opening page is like a "book cover".. Make it interesting and inviting - and change the content so that it always looks "fresh". In my view, the Parker of the Month contest not only has achieved that - but, moreso - has gotten more new folks involved with this site - while, at the same time, delivering fresh content within both the forums and the opening page.

The article, at the same time - is a valuable resource, and as well - deserves a prominent link from the Historical Section Page and perhaps a link from under the opening page. However, notwithstanding its fine attributes (it is an EXCELLENT ARTICLE!!!) - it is not what I would say "engenders the new-comer" to click any further into the site content. To take Robin's analogy - I probably wouldn't buy a book with a long article pasted on the opening cover. And on a website - I probably wouldn't spend time scrolling down that opening page to continue reading...

But - that's just me - and of course, I could be wrong - hence this poll...

FWIW as well, I have received a few comments about the article "content".. Before I suggest any changes/additions to the original author - let's try to figure out together, where to place the content as the opening page or as a link from the sidebar/opening page?...

Thanks,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

I agree with Robin.Leave the front page as is.And add a button for "Historical Information"
Unread 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Captain Bob

Member Info

As a person who has dealt with photographs professionally for over 40 years I have been impressed with the improving quality and composition of the images submitted for the monthly contest. To date we have seen mostly guns and game, but that is the time of the year when most thought, effort and opportunity go to that subject. The competition has not yet run a full year and I for one am very interested to see what subjects we might see in the coming months. Just this month we have seen the first presentations of some macro work on Parker details which have the potential to almost "put the gun in the hands of the viewer". I'm for keeping the monthly photo contest going because I feel we will be seeing some terrific pictures in the future.

On the other hand I see a great opportunity for those who are more accomplished at research and with the pen than the camera. I'd like to see if there is not a way to begin capturing some of the non-photography Parker wisdom and related experience which appears on this forum almost daily, and which could accumulate and broaden the FAQ section. "Parkers that are not Parkers" and "How to tell if my barrels are cut" are two constant themes which could use a detailed analysis. Pulling up and publishing a different FAQ text each month, especially if it might relate to a month's winning photo could add interest and value to the home page - IMHO
Visit Bob Roberts's homepage!
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,669 Times in 999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
I think #2 would be a great "Historical Information" page rather than the "Book Cover".
Ditto!
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
Andrew Thompson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Keep it as is and put the history stuff as a button on the home page. It's great stuff but not for a home page.
Ditto
Andrew Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #16
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have to agree with Larry. Option #2 is a well written and informative introduction rather than a history lesson. Then again, Option #1 is a beautiful eye-catching picture that changes every month. I see no reason why they can't be both together on one page. Option #1 as the header (as they say,"a picture says a thousand words"), followed by Option #2 (a concise and well written introduction).

John, sorry to add complication, but if you call this Option#3 then it gets my vote.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Purnell For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Ron Hann
PGCA Member

Member Info

I voted to leave as is. I enjoy seeing the photos as I log in. It gives honor to the winning photo each month. Option 2 is an interesting and enjoyable read as to the history of Parker shotguns and I hope it remains as part of the website if it is not the poll winner for the opening page.
Ron Hann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Hi Folks,

I'm going to close this poll down - and with a tremendous thanks to all of you.

Many who voted are first timers to this site/forum and many are "Parker Professionals" - so we had a great representation!!!.

For that - the votes from both camps are clear and concise. So, Robin and I will add the article to the Historical Section in the next day or two. As well - I'll add a link to that article under the opening picture when I update it with the winner from this month, and maybe play with some more designs.

Anyway - my sincerest thanks to all of you for your comments, your taking the time to consider both versions - and for all your Private Messages and e-mails to me about this subject..

It's your input that makes PGCA "your site" - and I'm honored to host it for all Parker enthusiasts and supporting PGCA Members.

My best to all!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Purnell View Post
.... I see no reason why they can't be both together on one page. Option #1 as the header (as they say,"a picture says a thousand words"), followed by Option #2 (a concise and well written introduction).

John, sorry to add complication, but if you call this Option#3 then it gets my vote.

Dave
You mean like this:

Parker Website.....

Actually, after your suggestion and a few calls/e-mails (many thanks to the folks that contacted me - you know who you are ) - let's try that for a while?? I think it serves all the ideas quite well..!

Many thanks - and feel free to post back any comments, OK??

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Perfect......