Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Pop pop, I once owned a16 gauge factory made Parker skeet gun in Vulcan grade. The serial number was in the 238,000 range. The stock cheeks were checkered at the factory and there was no hidden repair. As with Parker guns"never say never". Enjoy your gun for what it is......
Unread 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,405 Times in 12,421 Posts

Here's another Remington era GHE 16 with checked cheek panels - 236199... no repairs at all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (280.5 KB, 1 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,035 Posts

very nice gun either way. I'd shoot it. My DHE 16 has checkered "cheeks" and no evidence of repair--but have never pulled the stock off. Straight grip also. Where in NW Pa are you from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0539.jpg (514.7 KB, 1 views)
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
PopPop
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the information on the cheek checkering possibly being factory. I plan on doing a lot of shooting with this, it's already been to the skeet field twice and the sporting clays course twice. I can't wait to get it in the grouse woods. I didn't get to do much hunting except deer this past year (2014). Had a hip replaced November of 2013 and while recuperating from that, found out I had cancer. Spent all last year getting back to normal. Sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease.

Anyway, good looking DHE Harold. As is Dean's GHE. The engraving on both of those is very pretty. Very tasteful without being gaudy.

I am south of Erie, PA about 40 miles. A little town called Cochranton.

On another note, I may be acquiring another VHE only in 28 ga. It has a splinter fore end and is choked IM/CYL. The serial in 170723, any information on this available? I guess I need to invest in the serialization book I see advertised in the Double Gun Journal don't I.

PopPop
Larry Stalnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Stalnaker For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,035 Posts

Wow, 28 ga VHE, sounds like the bug bit you hard. That would be a great little find.
Unread 02-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,405 Times in 12,421 Posts

A VHE 28 would be very special and a wonderful little gun to carry in the coverts all day long. Please show us some pictures if you get it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Welcome Larry to the world of Parkers. Does you VHE have a rod going length wise through the forarm? If you can post pics of the forarm lug on the barrels we can tell you if the BTF is original to the gun. Either way it's a great gun to be using either on the clays course or the game fields......until you get the 28 that is

I'm also a Winchester buff esp Pre 64 M70's and just can't seem to get enough of them. A nice FWT 06 and a 22 Hornet have come my way recently.

I have relatives in Erie PA. If your considering coming to one of the SXS shoots you would be hard pressed to find a better one close to home than Hausmanns Hidden Hollow in Friendsville, PA.
Unread 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #18
PopPop
Forum Associate

Member Info

C.O.B.,
The fore arm does have the rod running the length, however, the lug on the bottom of the barrels doesn't have the wider and heavier base on the receiver end. The things I've read says that lug to which the fore arm attaches should have a wider base than one for a splinter. So who knows? Like they say, "never say never".

I am hoping to get to a SxS shoot this year, maybe the one in Friendsville or in Harrisburg. We'll have to see how things go.

You are like my best friend, C.O.B., he too favors pre 64 model 70 Winchesters. I like model 12's and 42's and 21's myself, liking to shoot shotguns more than rifles. My wife and I deer hunt with old lever guns (a 94 and a 92). We deer and squirrel hunt to fill the freezer, and bird hunt for fun. That FWT '06 will be a kicker, the last one I shot was. Have fun with the Hornet, a very versatile and fun caliber. Have killed a number of squirrels with one as well as groundhogs and coyotes.

Pop Pop
Unread 02-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The DelGrego's put BTF on quite a few guns, the forarm lug is the only way I know of to ID it as Parker. Either way it will make for a great field gun and will become a family heirloom to pass on to future generations.

Some day I'll add a M42 solid rib skeet gun to the family. I have a 42 I use for rabbit hunting when not using a 22LR. One of my goals for next fall is to shoot a deer with a M94 I have in 38-55.
Unread 02-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #20
PopPop
Forum Associate

Member Info

You mean like this, C.O.B.?

One of my favorite guns, I have more fun with that on the skeet field than the law should allow. It really upsets Kreighoff 12 ga shooters no end to get bested by the little sweetheart. It's a skeet choke but not a skeet grade 42. It's a deluxe field grade, a lot people get confused with the skeet choke marking on the barrel. The deluxe field grade (with the nicer wood and checkered grip and fore arm) was available in all chokes. A true "skeet grade" had a little better grade of wood and the word skeet stamped on the underside above the serial number on the magazine tube.

The 38-55 is a great caliber and will do a nice job of bringing down a deer. My wife's 92 is in 25-35 and kills a buck about every year with one shot, as does my 94 in 30-30. Of course it helps that we wear old "woolrich" woolens and don't get in tree stands. We're sort of old school.

Pop Pop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model 42 skket choke solid rib.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stalnaker For Your Post: