Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a question and not trying to pose an argument or be contrary, just want to know the basis for the notion. For the record I am believer of squaring the load or the shot column as best fit to a gauge of gun to get most shot in a pattern and limiting shot string. Recoil is not a factor in my thought.

What are the limitations and difference of performance in a 3/4 ounce load versus a 1 ounce load in a 16. I have always shot 1 ounce loads in my 16 and never thought about something less. Less shot in the pattern is just what it is, less shot in the pattern. Essentially if your shooting 3/4 ounce load that is a 28 gauge load. Are you saying that a 28 gauge load in tight chokes of 16 gauge is like shooting open chokes for a 28 gauge. A 3/4 load for a 16 is going to be probably less than a square shot column unless RST has redesigned the shot cup.

A 1 ounce load is considered the perfect load for a 16 gauge. A 3/4 load is considered the ideal load for a 28 gauge. I can see shooting a light load in a heavier gun like a 16 gauge would diminish recoil but is that the only factor. I that the case an not worried about recoil then why not shoot a 28 gauge instead if you that gun in your quiver.

Just wondering. BTW it is same discussion for say a 7/8 load which is ideal for say a 20 gauge.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Love my 16’s!!
Unread 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
I have a question and not trying to pose an argument or be contrary, just want to know the basis for the notion. For the record I am believer of squaring the load or the shot column as best fit to a gauge of gun to get most shot in a pattern and limiting shot string. Recoil is not a factor in my thought.

What are the limitations and difference of performance in a 3/4 ounce load versus a 1 ounce load in a 16. I have always shot 1 ounce loads in my 16 and never thought about something less. Less shot in the pattern is just what it is, less shot in the pattern. Essentially if your shooting 3/4 ounce load that is a 28 gauge load. Are you saying that a 28 gauge load in tight chokes of 16 gauge is like shooting open chokes for a 28 gauge. A 3/4 load for a 16 is going to be probably less than a square shot column unless RST has redesigned the shot cup.

A 1 ounce load is considered the perfect load for a 16 gauge. A 3/4 load is considered the ideal load for a 28 gauge. I can see shooting a light load in a heavier gun like a 16 gauge would diminish recoil but is that the only factor. I that the case an not worried about recoil then why not shoot a 28 gauge instead if you that gun in your quiver.

Just wondering. BTW it is same discussion for say a 7/8 load which is ideal for say a 20 gauge.

I was told years ago the three most ballistically "efficient" rounds were the 10 gauge 2 7/8" with 1 1/4 ounces , the 16 with an ounce and the 28 with 3/4's of an ounce . I tend to try to stick to those . Nothing wrong with less or more if that's what floats a persons boat .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jay, BTW I like your new to you 16. I also have 16 VH from 1907 it is numbered 144842. It has 28 inch barrels on 1 frame choked modified and full.

Use it mostly for dove hunting and continental pheasant. Killed a high tailing pheasant dead as a hammer using lead #6 in 1 ounce load. Estimated it was about 50 yards when I shot but landed about 80 yards away when we picked it up. Probably a lucky shot but still that left barrel can reach out and touch them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

It depends on what a shooter wants his 16 to do. Here is my take others may see it different.

Clay Targets don’t take many pellets to break and tight chokes deliver adequate density at reasonable distances. Round of Sporting Clays you shoot 100 shots or even more if warming up on 5 Stand first. 125 1 oz cartridges out of a 1 frame Parker 16 takes a toll. 125 3/4 oz cartridges much easier on the shooter, in most cases he will shoot higher scores with the lighter loads. Could be you could shoot the same score with a 20 or 28 but in the SXS tournaments those guns are classed with other 20s and 28s not with 16 G

Hunting small bag limits, few shots, 16 with 1 oz loads gun light and easy to carry is a fine choice.

Ballistic performance one thing Human performance another, guns intended use yet another factor.

Willam
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Good reasoning William.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
16's
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16's

I love my 16's it's what I started on as a kid in the late 50's. Dad always shot a Br Sweet 16 and so did my brother. I had a BS Savage Fox. Ask the doves and quail I have bagged with my 16's. I just got back fro NM blue quail hunt where my 30" DHE shot the best. My grandson used my 30" VHE to down his turkey last spring. Long may the 16 live and one can never have too many. Thanks Morris for your great shells that we get to use. I like 7/8 oz best.
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
It depends on what a shooter wants his 16 to do. Here is my take others may see it different.

Clay Targets don’t take many pellets to break and tight chokes deliver adequate density at reasonable distances. Round of Sporting Clays you shoot 100 shots or even more if warming up on 5 Stand first. 125 1 oz cartridges out of a 1 frame Parker 16 takes a toll. 125 3/4 oz cartridges much easier on the shooter, in most cases he will shoot higher scores with the lighter loads. Could be you could shoot the same score with a 20 or 28 but in the SXS tournaments those guns are classed with other 20s and 28s not with 16 G

Hunting small bag limits, few shots, 16 with 1 oz loads gun light and easy to carry is a fine choice.

Ballistic performance one thing Human performance another, guns intended use yet another factor.

Willam
I can buy into that as a reasoning and to each his own, again I am not considering recoil. My thought is wondering if there was a potential advantage of less shot stringing by shooting a less than square shot column. Meaning about the same amount of shot is arriving at the same time like a like a big flat pizza as opposed to a more elongated cloud. Also tight chokes on a 16 gauge was wondering how they would compare to open choke on a 28 gauge.

Guess its all relative.
Unread 12-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #19
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

This gun weighed 6.8lbs on a bathroom scale. It didn't seem to kick that much even with the 1oz. loads. For clays I'll stick to 7/8 and 3/4 from RST. I am saving all my empties as I will likely get set up to reload for 16 gauge.

I am looking forward to shooting it some more this weekend
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I took my 16 hammer on a GA quail hunt back in October. I brought 7/8 oz RST spreader loads and they worked out just fine. Very light recoil and brought the birds down just fine when I did my part. Shooting quail with a hammer gun was challenging and a lot of fun. The light RST shells worked out well over a couple days of hunting. For pheasant, I will go with 1 oz loads.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote