Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Short Ten Crow Killin'
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,399 Posts

Default Short Ten Crow Killin'

Yesterday started with change of plans on where to hunt. Distant thunderstorms were lighting up the sky in two directions but no thunder could be heard as we walked out to the field. Armed with my 1893 NH (left) and Scott with his 1889 EH (right) we put out a dozen or so decoys and turned on our two callers. Action was steady for the 3 hours we hunted. Many singles and doubles flew into their final resting spot as the big guns barked. We each had a 60 to 70 yard kill which always brings a big smile. Several times we had groups of 5 or more come in to see what was going on, each group paid a price. At one point a migrating flock of ravens, a large flock, the likes of which we have not seen before descended on our position. We had at least 25 of them over us. Following them in and then mixing in with them were a handful of crows. I shot one crow out of all the ravens which I studied up and down and then sideways to be sure before shooting. We had 28 birds down and were picking up. It was real hot and we were down to our t-shirts for the job, guns in hand. As we were picking up I looked up to see 5 birds heading our way I kneeled down and yelled freeze. Caught in the open, Scott in a bright blue t-shirt was kneeling motionless. They kept coming. I told him when I go to shoot they will be straight over your head to behind you. I stood up, clocked one, he got another which I anchored with my second shot. Morning total, 30 birds. Scott said he picked up two more on the way home. A real good day for early September, definitely a few new birds in the area. I had four doubles with my NH, shooting way over my head! LOL

Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,405 Times in 12,421 Posts

Thanks for your keen identification of those ravens... I love those big birds. Their range of vocabulary never ceases to amaze when I'm deer hunting in Vermont.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

One of the greatest predators of duck eggs in the world. Any waterfowler who doesn't kill every one he has the chance at doesn't hold the his hunting in very high regards. We usually pick up a crow or two over the pigeon decoys down at home but this year we never saw the first one.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Crows Crows Crows They come to idaho in the winter by the thousands. I know the farmers would love to have some of them destroyed. They are a real nuisance in the downtown area they crap all over everything. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Ravens are smart beyond comprehension. I have many stories of this from my years with my raven buddy "Poe" on the north slope of Alaska. I hand fed that big guy a lot of steak over the years and he knew me from others no matter how I dressed. Anyone wishing to read about ravens should find two books - Mind of the Raven, and Ravens in Winter - by Bernt Heinrich, a fellow who researched them. They make crows look like the 3-stooges as far as smarts go. They are indeed very efficient predators. In our bird research up north we looked for redpoll nests and found 42, all cleaned out by predators, which seemed to be ravens. They are good. I watched Poe take a ptarmigan away from a small falcon one day. He had lunch then dismantled it and stashed the pieces in 4 different places then later came back and restashed them when a herd of caribou started walking over the spots where he first stashed them. I could go on for hours with stories. They are indeed incredible birds. Here's a pic of Poe waiting for his lasagna breakfast...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A fluffed Poe 4.19.jpg (135.9 KB, 143 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
What's this rumor about steel shot for crows already--
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default What's this rumor about steel shot for crows already--

I've been out a few times for our MI "early nuisance goose" season- weather and standing crops play a big effect on your shooting, and usually mornings when it is cooler are best- I have always carried a few Winchester 12 steel 1 oz. no 7 loads to finish off a close range cripple- and on several farms where I also shoot pigeons, I am taking NO chances on having a lead load, just in case I get checked by the Raccoon Rangers afoot- this past Tuesday- newer spot on a regular farm, lotsa barn pigeons and the farmer said the Geese usually came into the pasture with a seep creek after lunch-

So he sent me to another section about a mile away- he has a few head of beef cattle, some standing corn, meadow and two beaver ponds and a winding seep creek, lotsa brush and trees for cover- Dead oak tree was loaded with crows when I parked by the gate just past the standing green corn- they never moved when I walked past down to the pond area- saw enough prints and poop and feathers to tell me the geese were using- so I set up and waiting- good call- took two geese (all I want) and then loaded the M12 with those No. 7 1 ounce steel loads- got three crow singles, two dropped in the pond- I had camo and was in the shadows-- and I'll kill every crow I can while I'm out for waterfowl- they kill more nesting bird eggs than any other varmint- after the early goose season ends the 15th- from then to the 30th- I'll go back to more serious crow shooting- decoys- standing corn, ambushing- I just hope the steel shot rumor is just such!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ravens are not common here. The ones I have seen were pert near the same size as a Common Loon! Lotsa crows, though. There is actually quite a cult following in regards to crow hunting AND eating! The Crowbusters website is an interesting place for crow info, especially the fact that they are the number one carrier of West Nile Disease. Yuk!

http://crowbusters.com/
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Surely (not Leslie Nielsen's Shirley) You Jest
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Surely (not Leslie Nielsen's Shirley) You Jest

Crowbusters Inc or Ltd. I just got my invite to a DU sponsor banquet-- and I can see why Pheasants Forever decided Not to follow the "Unlimited" scenario as did Trout Unlimited- who would want to tell anyone they're going to a PU fundraising banquet-- But crows-- a CU banquet- roast and flamble crow medallions on toast points with a fine Mogen David and a giant &^%$ sandwich (ref: Kubrick's movie FMJ on that one)-- And commissioned wild crow paintings- i can just see a David Maass- "Snarlin' In" as the black "bustards" are wingin' into a roost scenario- what next- ?? I keep a low profile on all the crows I kill (and after Jeff K. had to pull a previous post I made here with some rather "gruesome" tips from many years and study of Burt Popowski and others-- but my annual average kill/cripple- who cares- a crow out of commission is a good thing indeed, and you'll never kill 'em all (and let Ma nature sort out the good from the bad and the ugly in the next life anyway)--But 450 to 500 would be a good close guess-My Model 12's w/o 3 shot plugs work best- and AA 12 skeet no. 9 shot- crows are all fuss and feathers- no body mass- for barn pigeons I go to No. 8's- Bon Appetit!!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
I just hope the steel shot rumor is just such!!
Non Toxic shot became law effective January this year for shooting crows under a federal depredation permit. The non-tox shot requirement does not apply (yet) to the regular crow season.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hmmm. I asked that question of a Conservation Officer who was helping me at a Hunter Ed class, and he said that there was no requirement for non-tox.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote