Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Dog Boxes?
Unread 06-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #1
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Dog Boxes?

I thought I would poll the members here and see if anyone had strong opinions on Dog Boxes to fit in the back of a truck (shortbed crew cab F-150)? I've been wanting a truck vault system for some time, but now I find myself looking at some of the combination units I see out there with gun and two dog storage combined. No camper shell on my truck, so I need something waterproof or need to add a shell. I've been looking through website after website tonight and there are a lot of choices. I like a lot of the aluminum boxes I see, but how are these in the summertime for the dogs? Any good or bad experiences or brand recommendations are welcomed.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mike look at Little Enterprises LLC on Facebook. He's in Purcellville Va. Built my dog crate custom at same cost and higher quality than factory crates. Ex Millitary dog handler lot of experience.

Nice guy to deal with too.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Richard Morrison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here's what I use and it works well.
http://www.jacksoncreekmfg.com/portable.php
Richard Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been pretty happy with my deer creek box. I didn't want to put a topper on my truck, these boxes are fully insulated and mine has top storage. Very well built, and you can choose several different options.

http://www.deer-creek.org/home
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,871 Times in 2,034 Posts

Hmm, I see some road trips in your future. The UP, Dakotas, etc. I have always put caps on my trucks and love their ability to keep things dry and locked up. I do not have any gun vaults like our buddy Daryl, but build a platform with plywood and 2 x 4's. Ive used the same sheet of plywood since 1998. I bought 6 plastic kennels for $50 total at a yard sale( all sizes) and have been set since then. The dogs stay dry and warm--I even have a remote temp monitor that sells for under $20 that lets me know what the temp is under the cap.
So, what kind of dogs?? Labs, pointing dogs, or maybe pointing labs??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0823.jpg (533.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151029_163647554.jpg (514.7 KB, 4 views)
Unread 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,467 Posts

You pretty much know my set-up in my Denali. I too, like Harold, use the airline approved Vari-Kennel. They are lightweight, easy to hose out and clean and above all provide good ventilation. Looks like a cap should be in your future. You're a good man taking those GSP's. Bring them to the "Rock" in Sept. My two will love to meet them and romp in NEPA.

Harold, what is this remote sensor that you use?
Unread 06-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,215 Times in 3,270 Posts

I switched to a pair of Ruff stuff kennels, they have a hardware kit to join them together and handy in an SUV -there are doors at both ends

http://www.rufftoughkennels.com
Unread 06-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Mike you got the two GSP boys??? If so GREAT!!! I have a friend who guides and he uses one of the commercial aluminum dog boxes with some limited storage on the top and it works great for him. I have a homemade dog box that fits nicely in the bed of the truck.
Unread 06-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

If everything goes as planned, I'll be picking them up on Fathers Day. I'm excited and can't wait to meet them.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. Some good choices that I hadn't seen yet. I'm drawn to this setup based on the website, but would prefer to see one in person to get an idea of the quality of the build. I like the dog box and the drawers and the ability to stack. Not cheap, but compared to a new Truck Vault system () it's not bad. Still need a shell.

http://alumilene.com/custom-combos/

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is my set up , Now in it's 3rd truck.
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Beasland For Your Post:
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!