Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Lefever A Grade model 6 Skeet
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,719 Times in 4,643 Posts

Default Lefever A Grade model 6 Skeet

I have always had a soft spot for Ithaca Lefever A grades. I think they are dressed up just enough from a Nitro Special platform to make them a pretty attractive gun that one can be proud to own. There were 6 different models of these made and none was nicer than the Model 6 Skeet. Fitted with 26" barrels, skeet chokes, large BTFE, Ejectors and Single Trigger.

This is a model 6 Skeet gun of mine in 12g. I picked it up a couple years back in pretty rough condition. A while before that I owned a Model 5 A grade but eventually sold it and later regretted it. I told myself that the next chance I had to buy an A grade, I would. And this was the one. When the bidding war ened and the dust settled, I paid a little more than I should given the condition, but I really wanted it. The wood was beat and very oil soaked, barrels had a loose bottom rib back by the forend lug, the frame was buffed silver and the ejectors did not work properly. On and off, I have been picking away at the work on it when I could find the time.

The gun has been restocked, barrels repaired and rust blued, New screws made for the frame and then case coloring. I finally got the chance to put the action back together. Anyone who has farted with Nitro Specials knows it is a pain in rear to reassemble the hammers and mainsprings back into the frames. I just kept putting it off.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very nice, Brian! From an article in the DGJ a few years back, I now know that these guns were not made in large numbers.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

That looks really great...awesome job on the restock.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,798 Times in 3,968 Posts

really nice that wood is sure pretty...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,528 Times in 821 Posts

WOW, I like it!!
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,472 Posts

You are amazing Brian. Wow!
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,405 Times in 12,421 Posts

Nice work Brian.

Being admittedly ignorant in Lefever guns I find myself wondering why the Lefever name is even on this gun?... it looks so much like a NID or the "New Model Ithaca".
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,719 Times in 4,643 Posts

Ithaca purchased the Lefever line in 1915 (if I remember correctly). And continued making the side plate guns of Dan Lefever's last design. That line was discontinued and then the Lefever Nitro Special was introduced in 1923. It was an Ithaca designed gun that only was marked with the Lefever name. The A grade line of Lefevers were introduced along side the Nitro Specials in the mid. 1930s and made until WW2.
There were also Single Barreled guns made with the Lefever name on them.

The Lefever line was very basic in design and do not even share many similarities between other Ithaca models. They bolt only through the rib extension with the top lever.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,899 Times in 2,379 Posts

Beautiful work Brian!!

Lefever Arms Co. of Syracuse, New York, was bought out by a shell corporation in early 1916, and all the assets and the rights to use the Lefever name in the manufacture of shotguns was moved to Ithaca. A short time later ownership of this corporation, Lefever Arms Co., Inc. was transferred to the owners of Ithaca Gun Co. -- George Livermore, Louis Smith, Claude Smith, Paul Livermore and Eunice Smith. Through 1919, this corporation, operating within the plant of Ithaca Gun Co. finished and sold off the remaining inventory of side-plate Lefever guns. In 1921, this corporation introduced the lower priced Lefever Nitro Special, still operating as a separate corporation. The Model 2 single barrel and the Model 3 SBT were added to the Lefever line in 1927, and the Model 4 double barrel vent rib trap gun in 1929. Also in 1929, the family formed another corporation, Western Arms Corp., to build an even lower priced double the Long Range Double. Lefever and Western continued to operate as separate corporations into 1933. By 1934, Lefever and Western guns are marked as being made by the Lefever or Western Branches of Ithaca Gun Co., Inc.

The A-Grades were pretty short lived. The Model 5 Lefever A-Grade was introduced in 1934. The following year they began offering the Skeet version, and pictured the Model 5 A-Grade with the beavertail forearm and single trigger. In Ithaca's January 25, 1936, catalogues and price lists the began calling it the Model 6 Special Skeet Gun. By the February 8, 1939, Ithaca Gun Co. catalogues and price lists the Model 6 Special Skeet Gun is listed as "Discontinued". By the 1940 catalogues and price lists the Lefever Model 5 A-Grade is gone as well, and the Lefever Model 1 Nitro Special is now shown with the profiled receiver of the late A-Grades --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,472 Posts

You never cease to amaze me, Dave.