Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

New record
Unread 12-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 841 Posts

Default New record

I hear lots of naysayers talking about how the Parker market is slumping and there is less and less interest in Parker shotguns. Personally, I think that talk and line of thinking is fake news. I notice we had 1900+ people at one time on our website just last week- the highest number ever.

Our challenge is converting these website visitors to PGCA members and passionate collectors.
Josh Loewensteiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,726 Times in 4,643 Posts

That is good news! And for interest in Parkers/Doubleguns.
The market however... a lot of people also attend gun shows that dont bring any money with them.

I would wonder what is up with that number.? With the previous record being something in the 500s, and the previous around 450 and that one stood for many years.

So, all of the sudden on one day there is almost 4 times the last high number????
Russian Troll farms maybe...

It doesn't add up.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,409 Times in 12,421 Posts

Thanks Josh - I'll take it.

Numbers are factual data and I'll accept that we had that many visitors. Maybe it was because of the holidays and folks were at home and free to visit their favorite websites.... Whatever the reason, I'll take it.

Folks not bringing money to gun shows...? Maybe they just didn't feel like parting with their money for mediocre guns...?

These days there are literally hundreds and hundreds of mediocre guns on internet sales and auction sites... and I believe this is why the values appear to be bottoming out... But not so for the more highly desirable guns - high grade, high condition, small bore, unusual configuration guns are holding their value... but the market is flooded with mediocre guns - hence the appearance of the bottom falling out.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Setter Man
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I guess it depends on what is meant by “mediocre.”
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,660 Times in 3,452 Posts

While it most certainly is a new high the reason for added viewing could be a bunch of reasons .

I tend to think a lot of younger folks that may have acquired a Parker thru inheritance might very well be looking here for an idea as to what to ask value wise etc .

True I may be sour grapes but from spending many days each week in a gun shop 90% of the "folks" and I use that term lightly as some I'm not totally sure are human . Anyway the 90% are usually after an AR , Glock , tacticool shotgun (IE pump or semi auto sawed off) or possibly military surplus something or other .

Now with that being said even though the majority of my accumulation has two barrels or walnut stocked scoped rifles I do own a couple AR's and a small covey of unscrewed with Swedish Mausers I however DO NOT OWN a yuck Glock .
Unread 12-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,583 Times in 388 Posts

Default Collectors

People evolve as they grow into their interests. Typically, young people just don't have the money or the time to get into it all the way. But, as they mature and become higher wage earners their tastes evolve with them. Just look at automobiles, young people want the latest new fangled thing out there, but as time goes on eventually those 1950 era Jaguars start looking pretty good and they can begin to afford them as they learn about them. Thanks to Double Gun Journal, Sporting Classics and Shooting Sportsman, as well as others, they keep fanning the flames of interest and education. On the other hand if too many additional people get into to the spirit of these great guns none of us will be able to afford the guns we love. You can't have it both ways...
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have seen several instances in here or fox forum where someone is taking a grandchild or child out for their first hunting experience. Many in here "gift" a gun to someone in the family or a friend. I have never forgot the first time my dads best friend "lewi" took me out hunting. He loaned me a stevens .410 double barrel shotgun to hunt with. We never saw a rabbit, I did not care, I could not sleep the night before, and everytime he took me hunting, I would get so excited I could hardly sleep. I think I was 10 or 11 years old. The next summer dad told me if I could earn enough money I could get my own shotgun. That taught me so much about responsibility, and to work for something I really wanted, it was a win-win all the way around. To all of you that help introduce a young person to hunting or fishing, or "gift" a gun or fishing pole etc. I THANK you from the bottom of my heart.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

The challenge isn’t the guns (sort of, you are subjected to certain ammo) but more the attitudes, mediocre guns, seriously those are the guns new people are going to buy, new people to this board get some snarky replies, when all they want to do learn. Yeah not everyone has the inclination or patience to use the search option(I’m guilty)when it is easier to post the question, annoying I get it, but if Parker guns are an interest for someone starting out it’s a huge turn off for people to want to spend the extra. So why spend the money to be a member when you can post and read for free? Membership is a niche ( there are definitely clicks here)not everyone wants to be a part of. Sorry to say it but in reality the future isn’t bright.Yeah there will always be young kids whose dad brought them up right, but those youngsters are just going to replace you or I. Three to four gens from now this niche is going to be small with a huge inventory of mediocre guns on the market!
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Now that I have my Wheeley bird set up in my back yard my neighbor has started shooting my Parkers. He is getting good fast.Yesterday after shooting he spent some time looking at the guns and asking questions. I have a DH that he had been shooting well choked improved and modified. Yesterday he shot a GH choked full and full and when he started making powder of clays he really lit up. He is 75 and never shot a SXS. His son in law came by and told me he wanted to try shooting also. So here we go they don't have to be kids.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #10
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Happy New Years guys, My resolution is to introduce 4 new people to Parkers this coming year. I got 3 last year and going for one more. If we could all try to actively do this with the black gun tacticool cadre we might get some new interest and their in lies the future.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moffa For Your Post: