Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A little input needed on case colors
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A little input needed on case colors

I'm looking at a DHE manufactured in 1920 that looks pretty good, the case colors maybe to good. They are dark blues, tans and pinks. The colors look much darker and maybe brighter in hand than they do in these photos taken in poor light.The other major downside is the stock has been cut and then a spacer added to get it back to a shootable length of pull. The wood has been refinished for sure. There is a whole in the bottom rib (no pic sorry) a few inches ahead of the foreend lug. Barrels don't look redone but I wonder. The chambers measure right at 2 3/4 with my little metal ruler ;so, I assume the chambers have been lengthened.

I've not seen a really high condition Parker in real life so I'm coming to the experts here for advice. Do they look right or redone? Also, the Miller single trigger I'm assuming was added later. Can it be put back to a double trigger? How big a hit in value should the stock make? Any input will be helpful.

the pics.

this one is overexposed and the colors kind of blown out

Last edited by Bill Bates; 09-13-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Bill Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Bill Bates's homepage!
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,972 Times in 4,804 Posts

The colors look great, original or not. The trigger should not be replaced, it is a wonderful trigger and does not detract from the value of the gun. The spacers and Hawkins pad should be left as is if the length is right for you. This is a wonderful gun that I would be proud to own and shoot. What is the serial number that I cannot read? How long is the stock from the middle of the trigger to the middle of the pad?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,019 Times in 1,431 Posts

Bill,

In my opinion the colors are not original (although nice). What I see a lot on recolored guns is that there is a lot of straw around the edges of the frame and on the edge of the breach balls where the barrels meet. It's very evident on the photo's you posted. Also the watertable pattern is not what I'm used to seeing.

The condition of the colors don't match the rest of the gun's condition. Again, just my opinion.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

The serial number starts with 188318 (the last three numbers may not be correct) I'm going from memory. It is in the book and correct for barrel, grade, gauge and stock.

The gentleman that has it is kind of wanting a healthy original condition price but I have a thing for 16 gauge shotguns. If it was an O frame it would be in my safe if he would budge a little on price. If the metal has been redone (well redone if it is) then maybe the price is out of line or maybe not. Either way it is enough I feel caution is called for.
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Paul Stafford III
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Odd that a D grade has such a plain piece of wood, the one's I have are much different.
Paul Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, do you have a picture of the other side of the stock? What is the range of the asking price? A 16 gauge that looks like that one is a bit of a catch. Does this gun have any Remington repair codes on the barrel flats?
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looks like Turnbull work to me. Nice gun, I like the case colors, I think it'll look great with a little wear on it.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

There aren't any Remington repair codes.

I used a loop and there is no sign of polishing on the frame. The engraving is sharp and crisp which is one of the reason I wondered about the case color being original. I agree the frame looks a little to good for the rest of the gun which is why I suspect it has been re-cased by someone that knows their craft. I doesn't look like cyanide or I would have suspect Delgregos. I've not seen Turnbulls work on a Parker other than photos but I've seen plenty of other guns and it doesn't feel Turnbull to me.

I didn't snap a photo of the right side of the butt. The grain is pretty straight. I may ask if I can carefully pull the trigger guard to check the wood for a serial number. Of course I would understand being told no. I didn't measure the wood but the pull and drop was pretty good for me so I'm guessing 14 to maybe 14 1/2 inch length of pull and 1 1/2 ish in. to maybe 2 1/2 in. drop at cheek and heel.

So anyone have a feeling on what a fair price for a well done re-worked DHE 16 gauge should be? I'm on a bit of beer budget so I might have to let go of a few guns out of the safe to fund this one.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think we're all waiting for you to tell us what neighborhood the seller is in as to price. Is he in the threes or is he in the fives? We'll tell you if he's out of line or not.
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,548 Times in 12,445 Posts

The color looks like Turnbull to me too. I've seen a number of restorations from DTR and that one fits right into his fine quality of work. One of our members has a Grade 2 with 30" 20 ga. Damascus barrels that was restored by Turnbull and he will agree that the engraving has been picked up nicely which is one of the qualities by which we judge Turnbull's work. None but a scant few can pick up Parker Bros engraving to look exactly like original PB engraving.

But, I wouldn't rule out Brad Batchelder's work either.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: