Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

My Hand-Me-Down VH!
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
mariodawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default My Hand-Me-Down VH!

Hi All! I am just here to share pics of my Parker Brother VH. I found your site very useful and have already bought the two-volume set "The Parker Story" also. I think this gun is all original and has seen light use in its day! Tell me what you think...but I have no intention of selling. This is a piece of history! I hope to eventually have the research letter done, and may even become a member. But right now, I'm doing time in the desert with the USAF, so this is a way for me to enjoy a hobby of mine long-distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0028.jpg (508.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0015.jpg (522.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0008.jpg (487.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0010.jpg (514.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0005.jpg (512.9 KB, 27 views)
Mark Ciarlone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ciarlone For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Mike Stahle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ciarlone View Post
Hi All! I am just here to share pics of my Parker Brother VH. I found your site very useful and have already bought the two-volume set "The Parker Story" also. I think this gun is all original and has seen light use in its day! Tell me what you think...but I have no intention of selling. This is a piece of history! I hope to eventually have the research letter done, and may even become a member. But right now, I'm doing time in the desert with the USAF, so this is a way for me to enjoy a hobby of mine long-distance.
Very nice looking VH Mark...
Thanks for your service and stay safe to return to that waiting Parker girl.
"GO AIR FORCE"
Mike Stahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,760 Times in 735 Posts

Welcome Aboard. Looks like a VHE! Is your hand me down a family Parker? I have several family Parkers and I feel as if the one who used it for so many years is with me when I shoot them. Keep your head down and come home safe. Like many here on the PGCA who also served their Country, I applaud your service.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Mark , We are glad you found us...Welcome! Looks to be a great V grade gun Congratulations! Thank You for service in our Armed Forces....
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you for your service!!! We look forward to hearing from you on the forum. My best,
Mike
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
mariodawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

In reply to Harry, I thought this was a VH gun, not a VHE (It says VH under the barrel, but I am a novice). Any opinions? Also for Harry, this is indeed a family Parker, going back to my grandfather---but I'm not sure if it goes back even farther.

Its one reason I need to have the research thing done. Being a 1925 gun, it could go back a couple more generations. I haven't fired it yet, but I will when I get back, and I'll get it cleaned up also---I imagine it hasn't been cleaned (or fired) in a loooooong time. Its a beautiful gun though---even if its just a grade 0! I mean, its a Parker, right?
Mark Ciarlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

I agree with Harry, I can see the split in the extractor which makes it an ejector. So, yep it is a VHE.

I want to also express my thanks for your service! Stay safe!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mark,

It is a Vulcan Hammerless and the extractors look to be split which would make it and Ejector Parker or VHE. The ejector guns will fling the spent cartridge from the barrels as opposed to the extractor guns you must pull the spent shell from the barrels. They have their good points and bad. The good is you can reload quicker and the bad is you have to pick up the empties.

Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Mark: I wish to add my thanks for your service to those above. You have a wonderful family heirloom there. I say a Parker is a Parker is a Parker. The main difference between the various grades are the embellishments: engraving, quality of wood, etc. It is even believed that the barrel steel on fluid steel Parkers is all the same regardless of whether the top rib reads: Trojan, Vulcan, Parker Special, Acme, Peerless, etc. Welcome Aboard.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mark,

I had a coustomer walk in in the middle of my last post. I wanted to add that the "water table" will have VH stamped on it despite the fact that it is a VHE. I can't make out the serial number to look up in the "book". If this were my Parker to clean up, I would limit it to Hoppe's 9 solvent and 0000 steel wool to remove the surface rust I see then follow up with an oily rag. The less done the better. Aggressive cleaning will detract from the gun. I have family Parkers that had been used hard and I like to see the honest wear from the hands of the ones I received the gun from.

Kindest, Harry