Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Why am I attracted to old war horse Parkers?
Unread 10-13-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,629 Times in 1,681 Posts

Default Why am I attracted to old war horse Parkers?

I suffer from a love of old SxS shotguns that have lived an active life. Worn finish but no restorations or poor care/storage, just lots of honest wear. They are like an old hunting dog to me, a full life of bird hunting but showing their age and scars gracefully. I love old bird dogs! When I first got into gun collecting it was condition-condition-condition. But as I have gotten into my late innings, I have found room in my collection for a few old war horse guns that exhibit a full life of bird hunting. Does anyone else feel this tug when an old war horse Parker comes to market.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2023, 09:02 PM   #2
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Absolutely Craig! I love an old workhorse in all its glory. Sometimes repairs have to be made out of necessity, but cosmetically I prefer to let them show their age. I have tried to partially restore a gun or two but have regretted it afterward almost every time. I have come to appreciate thin barrel blue, bruised stacks and ugly recoil pads.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,415 Times in 1,248 Posts

Well written Craig. I like to say these old war horses have a "spirit" with memories that came from countless hunts in the hands of those long gone. Refinish one of them and it's gone and you're starting from scratch.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2023, 09:44 PM   #4
randallro
PGCA Member

Member Info

I feel that way about most things...cars, boats etc. I know I'm in the minority but I like the plainness and honest wear of my VH.
randall rosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to randall rosenthal For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2023, 11:25 PM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

I believe that after a long life together an old Parker begins to look like his handler. Or perhaps it's the other way around...
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2023, 11:31 PM   #6
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,439 Times in 689 Posts

Condition is good, but so is character. And if you can't really have in the same gun high percentages of both.

I do appreciate a faithful restoration, and see the necessity for it if the gun is in a
disreputable condition.
Unread 10-14-2023, 07:10 AM   #7
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,145 Posts

I agree, Craig. While I've never been one who sought out top condition S x Ss, as such, I always appreciated one that really looked "nice". Now, my idea of "nice" has changed.

I bought a 32" BE 1918 Fox some years ago to use as a shooter. It had been restocked, the trigger guard had been brazed where it had broken, bluing all but gone and replaced with a plum brown in some places. I found that I shot it very well, and began to entertain thoughts of a restoration of sorts. Glad I got involved with other gun projects and let that idea incubate awhile, because as I bonded with the gun I found that much of the beauty of it is in it's survival of 105 years of use. It'll stay just the way it is, and I'll continue to enjoy it for what it is, not for what it could be.

Old guns could be called much worse things than "a shooter".

Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,956 Times in 3,170 Posts

I’m well worn, why shouldn’t my guns be the same?

I know what Craig means about the appeal of guns that show honest wear. The guns in my safe all get used, admired, and well cared for.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,244 Times in 647 Posts

I never liked the term "Rainy Day Gun". We should have a category at an event for well worn Parkers. Maybe a display? Call is Best Character or Best Patina

In addition, I have always thought about having a shoot where the Parker you used would only have a market value of around $500 - $1000(in the hammer gun category). But for many reasons it brings much more value to the owner. And still shoot very well...

Most of the ones I have in this category are lower grades, but not all. I have a few lifters that make you wish the gun could talk. In hammer guns, these are usually guns I am happy to shoot black powder shells in.

So let's try to put something together around this. What do you think?
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,967 Times in 4,802 Posts

Some years ago, I planned a "Claiming Shoot" at our gun club. For those unfamiliar with the concept, a decent purse would be awarded to the high scorer, only if he puts his gun up for a $500 "claim". If the high scorer is not willing to sell his gun for $500, the purse goes to the next highest score, and so on. It eliminates the shooters who use a high end competition gun to win a shoot. The lower the "claim", the more interesting the shoot.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: