Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New User from Alberta
Unread 05-20-2024, 07:13 PM   #1
Scott Grant
Forum Associate

Member Info

Question New User from Alberta

Hi there.

New user from Alberta and I'm hoping to get a rough idea of the value of a Parker Bros. shotgun that I inherited.

It is a top lever hammerless, side-by-side, in 12 gauge (18.53mm bore), 30" barrels, choked full, silver bead front, double triggered, checkered walnut pistol grip stock, and splinter forend.

"Trojan Steel" is marked on the rib, grade "OV R" is marked on the flats, weight "4" is marked on the flats, frame size "K2" is marked on the barrel lug, and serial number "168129" is marked on the forend iron, lumps, and watertable (which puts the manufacturing date at 1914). "129" appears inside the bar, below the watertable.

And it has a Pachmayr "White Line" ventilated rubber recoil pad.

(Pictures attached.)

The stock has a repaired hairline crack, so I'm also looking for recommendations on hull type, shot size, and velocity to prevent further damage.

I appreciate any input you could give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1520.jpeg (364.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1521.jpeg (329.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1522.jpeg (267.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1523.JPG (205.5 KB, 0 views)
Scott Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2024, 08:24 PM   #2
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,125 Times in 401 Posts

Hello Scott, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your inherited Parker Trojan.
You are requesting a value, which is a very subjective subject. Being that the stock has a repair, a recoil pad installed and considering the over-all condition, I believe it would be safe to say that your gun is likely worth under $800. It is however still a Parker and thus a very well made SxS. It would make an very good shooter. As far as the ammunition and hull size, you need first determine the chamber length. As far as velocity matters, the integrity of the stock is your first concern. If it was properly repaired then it should still handle standard loads in the 1150 fps velocity range, with a proper low pressure powder and up to 1 1/8 oz of shot. Shot size will generally have no bearing, unless a larger buck shot size or slug is used. This is just a rough guess so you should take the gun to a good dealer that knows side by side shotguns well, and get an opinion.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Noble For Your Post: