Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Back from a Month in Northern NH
Unread 11-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Back from a Month in Northern NH

Enjoy reading the posts and seeing the photos describing member’s bird hunting experiences from around the country. Just returned home from spending almost the entire month of October in northern NH behind 2 Griffs. Have hunted there for over forty years. But before I retired it was a week up there if I was lucky and the other three weeks at my work dreaming of being there. I feel so lucky to have that much time afield now. On a rainy day I don’t feel compelled to hunt but rather give the “dogs” a rest day- sometimes.
Our grouse numbers were down this year or I guess I should say they weren’t as “up” as they had been for the past several years. Still, we found decent numbers. The woodcock numbers were definitely up for us and that was especially fun. We hunt along streams mostly and the pups were rewarded with a number of challenging water retrieves.
Photo 1- 3 year old “Arcas” with a grouse he pointed;
Photo 2- “Arcas” making a water retrieve of a woodcock below a beaver dam;
Photo 3- 8 year old “Gunny” keeping a close eye on a woodcock at the “Bikini” covert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcas and Grouse IMG_0358.jpg (536.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Arcas water Ret at Beaver Dam IMG_0388.jpg (527.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Gunny at Bikini covert 2 IMG_0516.jpg (531.6 KB, 6 views)
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,430 Times in 12,429 Posts

Okay inquiring minds want to know how that covert got it’s name…

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oh God that's a long story and I mean story...but here's the short version. I have shared a hunting cabin in October with 4 other buddies for years. 4 of the 5 of us are retired. The covert used to have another name but one day, when I wasn't there (of course), the other 4 returned to camp after doing quite well there (bird-wise). They claimed that when they arrived to hunt they got out of the truck and went to go pee in the bushes (something old hunters have to do) when suddenly they heard giggling and three female 20 somethings wandered up from a deep pool in the stream where they had been swimming on an unusually warm October afternoon. They each wore very cute, and allegedly "tiny" bikinis the total sum of fabric which would not have made an extra small bird hunting vest...
I'm pretty certain that the guys who had heart conditions were quickly grabbing for their medications and checking their pacemaker batteries...
The veracity of this tale is questionable but I do know that every time we drive that forest road and pass that stream those guys are craning their necks out the windows.
And since that day it has always been referred to as the bikini covert.
BTW- my friend Larry, who's 80, took 2 woodcock out of there a few days ago, courtesy of some nice points by Gunny and Arcas. And yes, Larry described the bikini scene in detail AGAIN for me...
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,430 Times in 12,429 Posts

Thanks Chris. That’s about in line with what I was hoping for.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,909 Times in 3,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pope View Post
Oh God that's a long story and I mean story...but here's the short version. I have shared a hunting cabin in October with 4 other buddies for years. 4 of the 5 of us are retired. The covert used to have another name but one day, when I wasn't there (of course), the other 4 returned to camp after doing quite well there (bird-wise). They claimed that when they arrived to hunt they got out of the truck and went to go pee in the bushes (something old hunters have to do) when suddenly they heard giggling and three female 20 somethings wandered up from a deep pool in the stream where they had been swimming on an unusually warm October afternoon. They each wore very cute, and allegedly "tiny" bikinis the total sum of fabric which would not have made an extra small bird hunting vest...
I'm pretty certain that the guys who had heart conditions were quickly grabbing for their medications and checking their pacemaker batteries...
The veracity of this tale is questionable but I do know that every time we drive that forest road and pass that stream those guys are craning their necks out the windows.
And since that day it has always been referred to as the bikini covert.
BTW- my friend Larry, who's 80, took 2 woodcock out of there a few days ago, courtesy of some nice points by Gunny and Arcas. And yes, Larry described the bikini scene in detail AGAIN for me...
Chris, long or short version, that's a great story. I'll bet there's some winking going on in its telling.

Gorgeous dogs!! I'm sure you know you're blessed.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: