Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A Weighty Question
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A Weighty Question

No, not about my weight, though that could clearly use some improvement, but about gun weight.
I am fortunate to have several parkers. All in 12 ga, except for my reproductions.
I recently picked up a Parker Trojan. My first. It has 30" barrels and is built on a #2 frame. The breach looks like it could handle artillery shells.
It is in excellent (restored) condition. It weighs 8lbs 4oz. That is the issue/concern.
I'm about to head out to South Dakota and would like to take the gun (I'm flying so I can only take one.) However, it really seems as if after 3-4 days afield, my arms would feel like lead. Recognizing that so many older Parkers were built for waterfowling, this weight isn't that out of line.
Thoughts from the group?
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

An 8 lb gun tends to get heavy, I have carried a 2 frame 10 around all day when that was all I had, you kind of get used to it. I would not want to see somebody that does not do a lot of manual work try it. That stinks you can only take one! Your going to have some fun in S. Dakota I'll bet. best ch
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

i would take a lighter gun if i was planning on a really lots of walking..calvins rite that gun will probably get heavy very soon....but if your up too it go for it...good luck on the hunt wish i was going with you... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

Take a lighter gun or get a more accurate scale. If I were going on a SD pheasant hunt, I would carry my 6 pound 4 ounce ten gauge J.P. Sauer bored modified and full, 26" Krupp barrels. If I get tired of carrying it, I put it in the holster.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,417 Times in 12,423 Posts

Take a 1 1/2 frame 12 bore on pheasant hunts that involve a lot of walking... or even a 1 frame 12 or a 16.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, the scale is accurate - unfortunately the gun is that heavy. On the plus side, it balances 1/4" from the center of the hinge pin.
I've convinced myself that for a one-two day hunt it would be OK! For a five day hunt, not so much.
Dean, I've got a 1 1/2 frame 30" Parker, but it is a trap configuration and just isn't the ticket for "real" birds. it does however work very well for me on Sporting Clays.
Current plans have me taking a 20ga. RBL with 28" barrels and straight grip on this trip.
Thanks for the input from everyone. It helped convince me of what direction to move in.
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,736 Times in 4,645 Posts

Yes, a 2 frame gun can get heavy walking around with for even half a day. Especially if you are walking with it at the ready very often. A No. 1 frame is a much better choice for a Parker if you are doing a lot of walking.

The weight of your Trojan sounds about right.

I think your are thinking right about taking your 20g. this time.
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,421 Times in 2,478 Posts

Michael;
I would opt out for the 20ga. RBL if it were me. Where are you hunting in So. Dakota and when are you going? I'm leaving tomorrow (we're driving) to hunt on opening day around Hitchcock. I started hunting out there with a twelve but soon realized that a 20 or 16 is really all you need if you have good dogs and a hell of a lot easier to carry and bring into play when needed.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Double Lab,
I'm headed to the Aberdeen area (Stratford). Was there last year and had a lot of fun. I fly out Sunday. Actually wanted to avoid opening day. Will be hunting for 5 1/2 days, if the weather holds. Have previously hunted near Mobridge.
I used a 20ga. Citori for years in Mass. for Pheasants and had good luck with it. However that was with released birds and over a great Shorthair I had at the time.
I'll have to keep an eye out for a nice 20ga. Parker and sell my first born to pay for it.
Good luck to you out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Andy Kelley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi I would be hard pressed not to take the gun and you want to shoot it.I'd opt for a Galazan slip on sling and thus you wouldn't have to have the gun in your hands all the time.I carried a very heavy E grade Lefever and survived the hunting around Chamberlin, SD and I am out of shape but I wanted to experience shooting a wild pheasant with that gun.In any event enjoy your trip!
Andy Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote