Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Russ Bickel has passed away
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,034 Posts

Default Russ Bickel has passed away

Russ Bickel, a good friend and wonderfully talented gunsmith, passed away late yesterday following complications after a triple bypass heart surgery two weeks ago. Russ repaired and refurbished many Parkers for PGCA members as well as others who were drawn to his talents. His work on other American doubles, especially Winchester Model 21s, had to be seen to be truly appreciated. His talents, persona and presence will be sorely missed.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

My condolences.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Bickle, but I know many here spoke highly of him.
Your loss is our loss.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Really don't know what to say, he was a super person and will be missed by all.... Sorry don't have any words. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

I met Russ at Hausemanns a few years ago and had a wonderful conversation with him. I was left with the impression that he was a man of many talents. Rest in piece Russ you will be missed.
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Russ was a wonderful person and talented gunsmith. I have two Parkers he repaired for me not too long ago and I will think fondly of him every time I shoot them. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

I am devastated. People like Russ should live forever. He was a collector of important shotguns, waterfowler, African hunter, great pigeon and clay target shooter, and the man could use a file. I will wait for those who knew him better to write a proper eulogy. I still have the scoresheet from the last time I shot with him, a wonderful day. He shot a Parker hammer gun that he had barrelled in fluid steel, himself.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I'm shocked! He was just starting his retirement and getting his life in order after his father passed away. I have a CHE 20 that he restocked for me and it's a special gun to me and even more so now.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Russ was one of my best shooting friends. I don't even know where to start talking about him. I met him first in a goose blind on the Chester River when Don Kaas had invited me out for a pigeon shoot at Philly. I liked him from the start, and liked him even more as I got to know him. I've stayed at his home, hunted over his dogs, drank his whiskey, and laughed till I hurt over the tales he could tell. He worked on my guns (usually for free), shared his knowledge with me, and was just an all around gentleman.

I've shot pigeons with that hammer gun Murphy mentions. Even in my inept hands it was murder and when he shot it was near magic. When I was last in the east on a railbird shooting invite from Kaas, I stopped in to visit him and go to a pigeon shoot at The Berm Club which he'd helped found. The weather was perfect, we had as fine a day as you can ask for. I didn't know that was the last time I'd ever see him but it's as good a final memory as a man might ever want for a friend.

Found a couple pictures I thought I'd post:

On a pheasant shoot last winter with his dogs and myself at Wing Pointe.

After the last shot was fired for a limit of ducks in Quebec, that's Kevin on the left.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,394 Times in 12,420 Posts

I am honored to have known Russ Bickel. He was the gentleman's gentleman in every respect and a very talented man. I always enjoyed talking with him and listening in when he talked with others about their guns. I was fortunate enough to have had Russ put my DH's Titanic barrels back on face and rust-blue them perfectly. Russ fitted a set of GH Damascus barrels to my DH too so that I could shoot it in 'Damascus only' events and of course did a perfect job fitting them too.

If Russ had never worked on my guns I would still admire the man. Rest in peace Russ.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,034 Posts

A service for Russ will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2012 at the Kuhn Funeral Home, 739 Penn Avenue, West Reading PA 19611 (Phone 610-374-5440). Visitation will be held from 1-3 PM with a service from 3-4 PM. Reception will follow at Fish Pond West, 100 Swift Water Lane, Reading PA 19601.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote