Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Lighting might strike twice
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,081 Times in 355 Posts

Default Lighting might strike twice

At gun show again this weekend and last 10mins of show an older gentleman approachs me.He ask if I know anything about parker shotguns.Given that I have been on a crash course over the last few weeks I said a little.
He had this ghe with him that was in pretty rough shape.It has damascus barrels,no tape with me so don't know length.Engraved on receiver with bird scene on all sides.Stock has plug repair on grip completely through.Forend has crack at top of release.Case hardening is gone but barrels look good in and out.
Can anyone give me a quick run down on this gun please.
Now for the kicker I am meeting him tomorrow to go over the gun for purchase or other.But he said he has more guns to show me some of which are parkers.I'll let ya'll know as soon as I fiind out.
He did have a hammergun with which I know nothing about.A W.M.Moore in preety rough shape.
I was thinking a $500 gun but should I bite?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0563.JPG (138.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0565.JPG (150.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0564.JPG (118.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0562.JPG (196.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0561.JPG (213.4 KB, 3 views)
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here are the rest of the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0560.JPG (180.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0566-1.JPG (181.4 KB, 4 views)
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,227 Times in 3,274 Posts

the number is not in the book, but its a G grade that needs some cleaning up

what are the bores like? since you know the wood needs work or replacing, I would want very good bores to start the project with

and you would need to take a close look at the Moore Wm Moore apprenticed to Manton, and made guns under a couple names, the WM Moore and Grey's were sometimes very nice guns. (a search on doublegunshop's forums will find several discussions of them)

Check the Proofs on the Moore carefully - Moore was on one the names often put on cheap JABCs to deceive the gullible

a Wm Moore & Grey

Unread 07-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

The moore was a side lever gun.I'll check it out more tomorrow.
The parker was well used but might be worth a new beginning.The bores did not look pitted in or out.
Unread 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

that g parker looks like a good shooter to me..hope you find some good buys tommorrow...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Now here is something that I keep thinking about.I know that Mr C has a Parker Gh.And he told me there are 2 more he thinks maybe more.They were his Fathers and he hunted alot in upstate New York.The Gh is a 12 ga what could the others be.Was he a waterfowl guy or upland birds or both.
He could be a one track guy who just kept getting the same gauge in different models.
I will not sleep tonight.Sure did find a new way to pass the summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hayes For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good luck with your visit to the old guy. I had to learn to put my hands on the table so a nervous twitch would not show when I saw something really good - dead giveaway that you really want what you see. I hope you find a small gauge high grade that just never got shot much because it was too small! I watched an old farmer putting guns on his table at a show a few years ago. He arrived late on the first day and every gun he put out was something different, just stuff. Then he pulled out an old case and started unzipping it, out came a 16 ga. VHE Parker with 80 - 85 % original case colors. I asked to see it and when I opened it, you could not see through the barrels for all the dust and lint, turned out to be perfect bores with ejectors. I bought it for a very fair price but will always remember the old guy. One writer explained our fascination with old guns - he said they harbor old mens' soles, makes perfect sense. Good Luck!
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well we spoke today he has to get the guns out of a closet.He is cautious and rightly so down here.We have had more than our share of scam artist and cons.So I gave him some more info on me to check out if he wants.Just want to feel comfortable I know he was very cautious at the show.
I just will have to wait a few more days I guess.
Small gauge whatever would be nice.Even just to see one appear from its case after decades.
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

You might enjoy getting a copy of the Blue Book of gun values. The new issue is out and it gives values which are considered a good national value but the book contains a great deal of information on guns. You can buy a copy on line and save a few dollars probably, just a great reference but as many may say, the values are just a reference and and often the value in a specific area may differ.
I bought a nice G grade from an older NY gentleman. If your guy retired from or lived in the north and traveled South, he may be carrying some good guns that you don't find often in the south.
The G you photographed was a nice piece and many would much rather have an original gun than any refinish. That gun will clean up and like others have said, be a nice shooter you could enjoy for years. Honest use and wear is character, and the ejectors are good to find also.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks I do have the copy you are speaking of and its a good source.I enjoy this hunt as much as in the field.Always have admired these guns and now own one and might end up with another.The stories that could be told fascinate me.
The gun I posted yesterday did come from New York so we'll see what comes next.
Thanks Again