Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Too Good to be True/Church Road Hardware
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Too Good to be True/Church Road Hardware

Yesterday I noted an ad in GunsAmerica for a VH Parker 20 that the seller claimed was his father's, bought in 1945 and that was mint and had only been shot a few times (ya, I know). The price was 5,800.

I checked out the seller on Google and found it was a MD hardware store. Another check found that the FFL for this store was not renewed this spring.

After receiving an email from these guys, I called and was told the #was 206,359 (not in the book), which would place it as a much older gun.

The deal smelled, so I decided back off and just received this alert from GunsAmerica:

Hello,
Hello from the GunsAmerica security team. You may have recently contacted "Church Road Hardware Inc" on GunsAmerica regarding one of the following listings:
905542678 Parker 20 Ga. Double Barrel Shotgun
938583321 Colt Single Action .45 by Master Factory Engraver Steve Kamyk
945174524 Earliest known Winchester 20ga. w/Madis letter
958155704 Krieghoff K80 Super Scroll Sport, LIKE NEW!
968639806 Remington 870 Tar Hunt DSG 12 gauge slug gun
This account is a fraudulent/hijacked account and you should not correspond with this individual at all. If you have sent money please contact Customer Service immediately.
If you have already contacted this individual, be aware that you may get fraudulent emails that look like they are coming from us in the future but are not. They may be attempts to hijack your GunsAmerica account or your identity.

GunsAmerica Customer Service
customerservice@gunsamerica.com
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,939 Times in 4,787 Posts

The business does have a legitimate FFL, expiring in 2014, according to ATF. The gunsamerica warning seems to be a bit premature since he would be in a world of trouble if it were true. I don't know who this guy is, but he may be legitimate. The serial number business on the Parker is confusing, for sure. The picture shows the barrel lug stamping of a late Remington Parker. The number they gave you in the email reply is surely not the one for the pictured gun unless the pictured gun were rebarrelled. You should confirm that serial number or ask for a picture of the serial number. PM me with the fellow's name, and I'll tell you whether I know him.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

By the way, what is "too good to be true" about a VHE 20 without a lick of case color for $5800.00? It is about $2500.00 overpriced unless the pictures that are not shown are way different from the ones that were shown. I have always wondered why the "fraudulent" ads described as such by gunsamerica.com are still on the site days and weeks after their discovery of fraud. You might address that question to gunsamerica customer service.
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
John Elligson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, my name is John Elligson and I own Church Road Hardware inc. in Md. I am 100% on the up and up BUT my FFL (which is current) was being illegally used by a unknown person to sell guns on the Gunsamerica site. I notified the ATF and the matter is under investigation. Sorry for the mix up but I do not want my good name drug thru the mud. Sorry for your inconvience. ps my buisness is gunsmithing not sales. Thanks John
John Elligson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Elligson For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for coming on this site to explain the situation. Yes, I checked with ATF, and the gentleman does have a current FFL as he says. Apparently, he is an innocent bystander. $5800? You have to be kidding about actually reading that ad.