Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

8 ga lifters hunt
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default 8 ga lifters hunt

well as everyone knows i ve been trying hard to get a deer with the old parker lifter 8 ga..lady luck finally smiled on us or maybe it was the new sling that i got for her from destrey yep thats it some of destrey good luck was rubbed off on that new sling the old lifter is wearing now.... well this is how it went... i went got readyand gathered all my gear up i took two guns today i carried the ole 8 ga lifter inher padded case on front of the 4 wheeler and had a 444 marlin handi rifle strapped over to my shoulders..i carried the rifle in case i seen that big buck again..it was 3.30 pm when i left the house but it was only 5 minute ride and walk to the shooting house. once inside the shooting house i loaded up the old 8 gauge with the pumpkin ball in the right barrel and a buckshot in the left..i figured i mite need a buckshot load if i wounded one and had two take another shot i did not have to use the buckshot load...i laid the ole lifter in the shooting window and cocked the right hammer put the rifle out the same window. now all i had to do was wait.first thing i hear is a low bark of a dog behind me i said oh no daisey the squirl dog has followed me but then i see 2 pit bull dogs thr the shooting window to my left..they went on so i settled back and then i wanted to cough luckly had a coupla cough drops they done the trick...next the little bird that kept wanting me to leave his shooting house were he could go to sleep visited me 3 times i told him i had squatters rights.. it was getting to be about 4.45 when i decided to pull my right hand mitten off so i could get my finger in the trigger better if i got a shot...was not but a few minutes i seen a doe come out of the woods and was nearly in shooting range and something really spooked her she ran but not very far. whew.....as the doe started eating grass she settled down by this time i had a bead on her i kept thinking she mite turn broadside and give me a better shot than standing longways facing me..my daylight was running out i kept thinking that big buck that was with her yesterday would appear. so with daylight fast fleeting i took good aim at her back and with a loud roar that doe fell over and never kicked i backed the hammer on the left side with the buckshot but she never even flinched..she had never knew what hit her. i was stunned for sure never have i killed a deer so quickly and cleanly..i then uncocked the old lifter and unloade d it.i st the gun down and went to see were i had hit the big doe she weighed about 80 lbs..i wish i could say i had took this doe at the 30 yard mark but she was only 10 yards..as i examined her i found i had shot her in the spine it did not come out anywhere.i took her to the deer shack to have her prosessedthe owner said he wouldtry to find the lead ball and give me a full report of it..the ball left a big hole where it went in...never has a deer fallen any faster...i then went and walked to the 4 wheeler i then loaded her up and went to the house..we then took pictures of her and the gun together..hope they turn out alright...anyway its been a long time getting here but everything finally came together and now i can join the ranks of those who have gotten a deer with a 8 ga.i was gonna say how long its took the ole gal and me to do this but you know i really don t remember but its been fun every hunt..we had shot at a few some to far some i just plain missed we been in the rain together weve had our cold days and sunny days together this evening it was 45 degees ans drizzling rain..now i guess its time to take another doe maybe with mills old gun .. who knows what lies ahead for me and these old parkers...pictures soon....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,103 Posts

Great Hunt Charlie ,and Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's wonderful Charlie. Congratulations. May have to talk you into sending me a couple of those round balls.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,392 Times in 12,420 Posts

Congratulations Charlie. Good things come to those who have patience and put their time in.
You can't shoot a deer when you're sitting in front of the TV and Lord knows you've been out there puttin in your time.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

will do but yoiu need to measure your muzzle end...the round ball is .835 in sizecharlie boy i could have not done any better if i had killed a trophy buck with a rifle in fact i had rather have took the doe with the 8 ga...like to have not loaded her by myself on the back of that 4 wheeler...
Unread 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Nice! Good work Charlie.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

here's the picures of the doe taken with the 8 ga and pumpkin ball load.enjoy.... charlie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

Awesome! Good job Charlie. Now your other two Parker 8's need to get a deer, or maybe a turkey
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Now your other two Parker 8's need to get a deer, or maybe a turkey

Why not one of each for both guns !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #10