Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Finally Got a Whole 8 Gauge
Unread 05-04-2024, 09:51 PM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,111 Times in 426 Posts

Default Finally Got a Whole 8 Gauge

As some may remember, I got into the 8 gauge club a year or two ago, but only half way. My first 8 was an 1873 Scott Single Barrel Light Waterfowl gun. Nice gun but I have wanted a double to match it. I won an auction tonight on GB for a Webley & Sons underlever double of, I believe, nearly the same vintage (early 1870's). It appears to be in good condition and the barrels are reported to be pristine. Can't wait to get it and measure and inspect. Barrels look to be a good grade of English Laminate, 32"; stock measurements being English are close to modern. Weight of 12-1/2 #. Webley records are not out there for old ones, but proofs would put it pre-1875. Looks to be no issues with wood. The barrel inscription is the St. James address Webley had at the time of the Scott purchase. It even included a Tourbon case with a set of accessories.

I copied a few of the auction pics until I can take some new ones.

I am interested as to the chambers, because my Scott of almost the same year has chambers that will take an industrial 8 gauge hull without swaging. That gun is all original, so I have often wondered if there was some variation in chambers at that time. Be interesting to see.

With the single 8 Scott, this gun, and the Light W&C Scott 10 gauge I bought a couple of weeks ago, I should have the mid-1870 English waterfowl market pretty well in hand.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 05-05-2024, 01:54 AM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,452 Posts

That jewel is a good pound or so lighter than any of the 8’s that’ve been in my possession .