View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #21
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

“Innerstructure corrosion”. As a layman I can’t imagine a more insidious-sounding barrel affliction.

If it does exist in a set of barrels, there seems currently to be no way to check for it.

Barrel thickness gauging would be irrelevant to determine its presence, extent or the frangibility of the metal affected.

“Shiny”; “pitted”; “bulged”, “dented” and “scuffed” are all observable, manifest descriptions of metal surfaces. Conversely, “innerstructure corrosion” is inherently latent.

Drew H. has said elsewhere on this Forum that: “No standards exist for radiography of pattern welded barrels, and x-rays can not differentiate between defects within the barrel wall, and pits on the interior surface”.

And further, “It has been my hope that a NDT expert with access to testing facilities, and doublegun interest, might develop a pattern welded barrel evaluation service. To my knowledge that has not yet occurred”.

Are there any recorded mishaps that with reasonable assurance can be attributed to “innerstructure corrosion”?