View Single Post
Unread 08-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Falling into the FWIW category, not all spreader loads are created equal. I took a SKB model 100 20 gauge to the patterning board last week. I was looking for a strictly quail gun that had a single trigger to use out west on cold cold days for use over pointing dogs. As such, on the patterning board I shot an RST spreader load consisting of 7/8 oz of number 8's out of the full barrel (.030 choke aka damn full). I also shot a Remington Gun Club load 7/8 oz number 8's out of that same choke at a measured range of exactly 20 yards. The Gun Club patterned more open at 20 yards then the RST spreaders. Actually 16" spread for the RST load versus 17" spread for the Gun Clubs. Certainly this could have been a one off, but I surmise that the Gun Club's used very very soft shot and the RST's used very hard shot and even with the spreader insert they didn't spread for sure. Also falling into FWIW, category, that SKB went down the road to Mike Orlen to be opened up to .005 and .015. Horses for courses and the spreader load didn't make this a quail gun for sure. YMMV for sure.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote