View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with Dean that it's good to teach these dogs basic obedience and commands, which is actually contrary to what some bird dog traditionalists think. I know a lot of the old time bird hunters and field trial trainers don't even teach sit, stay, or heel. As explained to me they thought it broke the dogs spirit some or maybe put into conflict with listening for you instead of following nose and instincts while in field. Some also think bird dogs resented that and if they got freedom in field they thought dogs would hunt wider. BTW I asked about obedience a long time ago to some about their thoughts and those answers stuck with me. Are they right I don't know, there is healthy balance and compromise that you will find works for you. They will teach whoa and come and that's about it. But these guys also mostly don't have those dogs living under same roof and if you don't have some obedience then its all out war.

Good luck.

Steve, that sounds like an interesting harness to try and sounds like you had some good success with it.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote