Unread 07-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Scott View Post
Dean -- if a 2 3/4" shell actually measures 2 1/4" (see my picture in post above) and when fired measure less than 2 5/8" (see second photo) how does it "open about 1/8" into the forcing cone?"

By my measurements the fired case doesn't even reach the forcing cone. So there is no way they could create a better gas seal. Maybe loaded roll crimp cartridges are longer than loaded folded crimp cartridges? I don't have any to measure.
Ron, you're missing one basic fact... These guns were built to the specifications of paper shotshell casings manufactured (cut) to specific lengths. All of the ammunition manufacturers (and there were far, far fewer then than there are today) adhered to specific measurements for paper shotshells.

We can't compare apples to oranges as in shotshells manufactured in the latter half of the 19th century and early 20th century and those manufactured today.

By the way, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the only shells in your picture of six that appear to be factory new are the two in the center.... the other four appear to be reloads.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote