View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

No kidding about setters and burrs. I swear it must of been a setter in the burr patch that gave the swiss engineer the inspiration for velcro. Our setters were always dang good on points and honoring, I think told them whoa and standstill more picking burrs. Hard to believe how much energy they still have after long day hunting and full of burrs how squirmy they can be. Don't blame them though, it hurts having them things matted in and trying to get em out. Wore out at least a pair of shooting gloves a year picking burrs. I will say having pointers in the south is a benefit on burrs alone.

Velcro was invented by George de Mestral a Swiss electrical engineer in 1941. This idea of inventing Velcro came to him when one day he returned after a walk from the hills and found cockleburs stuck to his clothes and his dog’s fur. George noticed its natural hook and loop quality and started making a fabric fastener on the same quality.

Gary, forgot that was also a valid point the old timers told me about not teaching a pointing dog to sit, about sitting on point. I have never seen that happen but we did teach brittanies to sit and stay and never had that problem.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote