View Single Post
Unread 11-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #22
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
Jeffrey,
The breeder that lives just down the road has had setters, g.s.p.'s english pointers, and brittanies. He is in his early 70's and has been around many different breeds and knows a lot about training dogs. We were talking one day and I told him I could not imagine a lab (which I love that breed) being a pointing dog in any way. He told me the best hunt he ever had in south dakota was when a pointing lab was hunting that day. That really opened my eyes, that was early on when I first met him and I was just trying to soak up all the info he would provide. My buddy has 2 draathars? (spelling) and my brittany and his oldest dog hunted together on a pheasant farm. He said the same thing as everyone else, they are pretty hardy dogs. I am wondering if it would be hard to find someone around your area that has any of the breeds listed above and spend time with them and their dogs hunting. That is what I did with my friend with 2 brittanies, it seemed to help me make up my mind. Our dogs have a bit of trouble in the 2nd season, when its over about a foot of snow on the ground, but I just keep the hunts shorter, its hard on both of us.
I'm planning on flying out to a breeder to get my dog, so I can meet them and see what they are like first. Thanks for your input! My thing with labs is I have interacted with them a lot. They for sure can take the cold, and if they'll point that would be perfect. I'm getting a lot of positive feedback on the German dogs. I've had a couple friends with GSH, Brittanies, and Weimeraners and they were nice dogs but could not withstand cold and wet at all. There are a lot of pet dogs up here that don't do well in the cold, like the previous three I mentioned.
jefferyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote