View Single Post
Unread 11-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Pictured on top of one of my favorite books ever, is my "Redneck shotgun chamber depth gauge". Given that I am a thrifty person by nature, except that sometimes that has to go by the wayside when it comes to Parkers and other fine firearms, I am always looking for a thrifty solution to a problem.

I took a standard 2 3/4" 12 gauge shotgun shell and created a plug on the lathe, and inserted it into the 2 3/4" shell. In theory, it should work, except for I am unaware if the tolerances would be tight enough to always differentiate a shotgun rechambered for 2 3/4" versus one in its original 2 9/16" configuration. I don't currently have a known original shotgun with 2 9/16" chambers to try it on.

Here's the alternative: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...e-prod593.aspx

With something like this, virtually free is better, provided it works!

While we are at it, how does rechambering a vintage Parker shotgun affect value? I would think with a "shooter" it would enhance value, but a high grade nearly mint gun it would hurt value. How about your standard VH grades with above average condition, or even a DHE?
Why not use your lathe to turn a "plug" or rod (it could be wood if that's what you have) the correct diameter to fit into the chamber? Make it long enough so it protrudes out of the breach (just like the ones from Brownells). Stick it into the camber until it stops, mark the rod at the breach, and measure the length from the end of the rod to the mark.

The problem with using a shotgun shell is that it isn't long enough to measure a chamber that is longer than the shell.