View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric,

New to site and not trying to square off with anyone, so could you please enlighten me as to what part of my post you have issue with. It seems you don't take umbrage with historic game counts, is there something about Daniel Boone that has you chafed? I am confused. If its a simple misunderstanding glad to clarify and move on, but to be labeled a Troll not certain what the purpose is for that comment. Again please point out the wrong, or don't. I guess I really don't care.

Christian,

Thank you for the followup and much more referenced info than I provided. Been awhile since hunted Grouse in Southern Appalachia, but as I recall those hills are damn cruel and you have to be a tough SOB to hunt Grouse in most parts of their southern range. All I know is that when we hunted them I can say that I know of no enterprise that took so much effort that yielded such little return on the harvest of the game, but those walks in the woods were memorable. I don't know how many times I crawled up the side of a hill to get to our Brittany pointed. I would be hanging on for dear life to a laurel bush with one hand and shotgun in the other as bird would flush from under my feet. I had better luck trying to kick one to death than I ever did shooting one, but they were there and pretty much unmolested by us. Pretty sure where we mostly hunted those birds died of old age.

The terrain we went to since we thought we were smarter than everyone else had a 30 to 50 foot limestone cliff/cap on top of the hills. You would work those hill sides and every flush you got they would fly to top of the mountain. It was like a grouse fortress up there. I swear some of those birds got so old and big I thought if we hung around to long they would kick boulders down onto us.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 11-01-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote