View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #25
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I tried smokeless with brass Magtecks and never could get them to work - bloopers. The ones you're talking about have thicker walls and a base, more like a modern shotgun shell. So what's different? The crimp is all that's left. The military has/had all brass shells loaded with buck shot, and they worked. I believe they had a slight roll crimp and someone makes a after market roll crimper for brass shells. But now you're kind a defeating one of the reasons for using brass shells. JMHO, but after so many roll crimps the shell is going to fail on the end and you'd have to cut some off. Would it make a difference in your life time ? I have no idea. If you don't roll crimp you have to glue in the OS card. I believe Charlie has had some success with that. I never did. With BP you won't have any problems. If you ever get a copy of Accurate powders reloading booklet they have a section in there about the importance of crimps and how shotgun shells develop their pressure. Brass shells look kool but plastic shells are cheaper and more available. Start em at 2 7/8 and cut em down as needed. Good luck.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!