View Single Post
Unread 12-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
RICHARD HOUSER
Forum Associate

Member Info

I took a few handfuls of the 10 short 19 grain loads to a range that has a couple of clay pigeon throwers (fixed position mechanical throwers). They are not fancy but they are strong.

My observation is that his load out of a modified choke was giving me clay busting hits at very long distances (40+ yards). I was letting the birds sail and choosing the shot on the descent (they are basically straight away shots).

I have never deliberately chosen to delay and never seen loads so effective at distance (with pleasant recoil). Is this the result of a "square shot load"? By this I mean that the shot column height is very close to the shot column diameter?

There were a couple of young shooters (maybe 30 years old) at another station. I asked them to each shoot 3 or 4 birds. I asked them to let the bird fly a bit before they engaged it. They each shot 4 birds, with 100% solid breaks. They missed nothing (young eyes). Both agreed that this was a fine long shot load and that nothing should be changed.

This was all with 7.5 size shot. I can't wait to see what the 6 shot will do for ranging.

thanks to all. rch
RICHARD HOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote