View Single Post
Old "Sweet 16" and not Chuck Berry either
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Old "Sweet 16" and not Chuck Berry either

I have ordered some RST paper 2.5" shells for the 1908 mfg. PH 16- as it is on the size O frame, I had also thought about the barrel sets from Galazan for 0 framed Parkers, so I could use newer 2.75" light loads in it as well.

This PH has 26" Twist barrels- I read somewhere that one way to remove the light rust tracing (on the iron part of the skelp) is to coat the barrels with gun oil, and rub chalk on the affected areas. Has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results. Do you need stick white chalk (old school board stuff) or will powder chalk (like carpenter's and masons use in chalk line boxes) work- as all chalk is a mild abrasive I believe.

I have not gone further on the Galazan barrels, as yesterday I picked up an older M21 16 ga. Skeet- sn 20033 mfg. about 1950 era- no engraving, but marked SKEET on the receiver floor ahead of the trigger guard bow- 26" WS-1 and WS-2, almost all the original blue and wood finish- older red solid pad with the two plugs--

Like every M21 I have shot, the older pre- 1960 field models with the side arrow "bolsters" seem to show blueing fade on the receiver floor plate- Did Winchester have a different blueing process for the frame as comnpared to the receivers on the old M21's--

Nice gun, but way heavier than the PH with the same length barrels--:PS- I tried the Dr. Drew House stick chalk after a light coat of Hoppe's oil- No soap, the few rust specs in the iron swirls are still there--

Last edited by Francis Morin; 02-09-2010 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Update
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote