View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2021, 11:55 PM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Regarding bore size and the comment I made about 10 ga loading, I remembered that I had bought a mixed lot of antique hand loading tools on eBay several weeks and had unpacked them and hardly looked at them. I dug them out and found there were reversible decappers/rams in 10, 12, 16 and 20, matching bases and a neat old tin shell holder that was reversable and fit both 12 and 16 gauge hulls with a funnel on each end. I have never seen one, but it looks like you insert the hull and dro the powder, ram the wad, drop the shot and ram the over powder wad using this as a guide. Pretty slick.

What intrigued me concerning this thread was that in addition there were several old (!) wad cutter punches included, and lo and behold they were in 20, 16, 12 10 and (drum roll) 9 gauge. They were stamped with the identifiers. Looks like this may have been a common practice. Parkers loading instructions for their shells reflects. With bore size wads, I would think you could load light 12 loads in the 10 gauge shell and have really low pressure loads with much less chance of bloopers. It would likely be possible to load some 12 gauge level loads in cut off 2" shells if desired.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote