View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2024, 09:27 AM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,137 Posts

Any year I make it through intact is a good year!

Among my many blessings was getting to watch our pup, Rill, point her first wild birds -- grouse, woodcock, pheasant and quail. What a gift to hunt behind dogs you and your wife developed yourselves in "home" covers.

I also was able to hunt with a fellow member, Pat Sheerin, for the first time. An avid deer hunter, Pat is a courteous gentleman who carries one of the nicest Trojan 20 gauges I've seen. Attending the annual meeting was a treat, as was getting to meet and speak with Allan for the first, and last, time. I also got to meet Dean Romig's Grace. What a beautiful dog (and I wish her well).

On the collecting front, I picked up several: an all original DH Damascus 20 (which I blooded earlier this week), a beautiful CH Damascus 16 (not too many of these made), a 30 inch straight/splinter DHE 16 (need I say, Harry G., it has two triggers) that matches my prize 1918 wild Bob DHE 20 (this gun, from the same engraving period, even has the same "medium full comb" that my 20 has!), a super condition VH 26 inch 16 with very strong (benchmark) case colors. And I finally scratched my .410 itch (thanks, Stan Hillis, for infecting me!) with a ball grip VH, one of the earliest made (and without the stepped barrels). I have lots to scheme about and look forward to as I conjure up the best ways to blood each of these guns.

I'll have some challenges to face in the coming year, as will be the case with many, but I'm looking forward to seeing folks at the Pheasant Fest and Southern (and annual meeting!) this coming year.

Craig, thanks for posing the thread's question to include things beyond guns acquired. There is so much more to our lives because of our guns.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: