View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Craig, sorry I sounded a little rude. I've tried band saws, chop saws, and table saws. They all work but my problem is they're all in my workshop and I do my reloading in the basement. So unless I'm doing a bunch like 2 1/2" 12ga, it's down in the basement by hand. Usually a dowel with a single edge razor in it. I made one like Edgers, but it still needs some refinement. The shells are just a little hard to turn so it's still the dowel for just a couple. Everyone has their own way of doing it and it's nice to see another example.
Before the “Great Covid19 Pandemic” I was loading shotgun shells at the gunshop during the day and the bandsaw there is eight feet away from my desk/bench . I think it takes about 15 minutes to do 100 of them in my jig . The part over the cut off end serves a duel purpose , first it keeps the cutoff piece from flying across the shop and secondly it also gives a more even cut . When I did it with my original jig without the support piece in front it tended to bend the end some as they cut . Now as to how clean the cut is , sure they’re frayed a bit but I’ve encountered no problems loading or shooting so that’s not an issue to me .