View Single Post
Unread 03-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had my ca. 1886 Parker hammer gun (twist barrel) radiographed locally, but nothing conclusive was found, even though I see something that looks like it could be a crack in the bore. I had a guy with a local boiler company video the bores with his borescope, and you could see this "crack" - but it was hard to tell if it was a crack or merely just some corrosion along the lines where the different metal "strands" meet. (This gun is old & well-used. Even the outside surface of the barrels has some of that "washboard" feel to it, so I'm sure the inside surfaces have it too.) I wish I could email the video to you, but it is a 63 MB file. I did send the barrels to Merrington, for inspection, measurement & light honing. I hoped that the honing would remove this "defect." It did not. I asked Kirk about the "crack" - and he acted like he didn't see one; didn't know what I was even talking about. (Which made me wonder...) All he kept saying (instead of a direct answer) was "If it was my gun, I would shoot it with proper, low-pressure loads." It still makes me wonder what I'm seeing, and why he acted as if he didn't notice it...
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote