View Single Post
Unread 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboyles View Post
I like the sound of these guns on ducks. I'm going to try for the first time my 20 DHE 30" steel barrels in Ms on Beaver Dam Lake as a guest in Jan. Question: I bought Kent Bismuth 1 oz. #5 to use on mostly their big ducks like Mallards. My barrels are both Full choke. Is this a good mix???
David……the only way to know for sure how effective a load will be from a given barrel is to shoot paper. I know most people don’t do this but it is the only way to definitively determine which load and shot size works best for a particular gun. The results are sometimes surprising. In general, I have found that large shot patterns are lacking in the 20 bore. This is why I don’t use shot size larger than #6 in a 20. In general, a good shooting full choke 20 bore should be a 45 yard gun with the heavier 1 oz. load. I load 1 oz. 20 bore loads but keep the velocity to about 1200 fps and I only use the 1 oz. load on ducks. I much prefer the 7/8 oz. load for everything else.

I don't consider the 20 bore a duck gun per se. But if used within its limitations and with the proper load, it is a fun gun to take ducks with.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: