Thread: 28 gauge slugs
View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom I can attest to that about my experience with slugs. Key was having cyl or no more than an imp cyl choked barrels. I got the best performance out of Brenneke compared to Remington. Started with Remington and took 2 shots at a deer at 50 yards using an A5 that had a imp cyl. barrel. Gun did not have sites but had to take a fine bead and it was pretty accurate and could hit an 8 inch pie plate consistently. In heat of moment though since jumped him did not take a fine enough bead and both shots whizzed over him. After first one he stood there looking at me like your kidding, you got some nerve. Did not get a chance at a third. I needed a better system. (BTW I am pretty sure I was only person that shot at that deer and he got educated. He was a ghost deer and we all think he died of old age. We only saw him after the season a few times for about 7 years after that and he was a brute. If someone got him we never heard about it.)

Got a slug barrel with an 1100 and started with Remington slugs in it like I already had and figuring a Remington gun. Nope, they were all over the place, even quit sighting it because was not getting anything consistent. Thought it was me but had gun laying in stacked 50 pound feed bags so rest was rock solid. Frustrated went and got some Brennekes and tried it again and was able to get it sighted in at 50 yards and could hit within a 4 inch circle consistently. Never tried anything else after that.
Now I will have to say the Brenneke's that I shot had a fiber wad that was screwed into the base of the rifled lead slug. I don't know if they make them like that anymore.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-11-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote