View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2019, 12:12 AM   #24
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
milt go with the no 5 shot while the leaves are on they have enough power to shoot through the leaves and get that squirl....7 1/2 shot works fine on squirls when leaves are off trees...i need to start loading me some squirl loads....charlie
Charlie for a long time I used my 10 ga 3.5"s for squirrels using the winchester hv turkey loads 2oz of #5s at 1300fps and the remington 2 1/4 oz load of #4s .
The hv 2oz always patterned better for me but both were more than sufficient I would say .

People think that lead turkey loads would ruin a squirrel but actually the most damage I ever seen on a squirrel was from a 17 hmr . Usually using these heavy shotgun loads I would only count a couple of hits on the squirrel regardless if I used a 1 1/4 oz load in a smaller gauge or 2 1/4 in a 10 ga .

I am going to have to buy a bag of shot for the muzzleloader and Im not sure what size I need to get I really want to use it on coyotes so im debating between lead #2s which I have read will kill a yote but thats highly debatable . Or lead T shot which bpi sells , one thing to note is that here in Georgia #2 Lead is legal for turkey but probably not ideal . Seems like I will need to buy two bags of different shot size .

Charlie after hurricane Michael last year we dont really have many trees , Id say a good 60%+ of them were removed by the hurricane . If you ever seen pictures of the Tunguska blast that what it looks like here now .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote