View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
Anyone know where I might be able to find 2-3 boxes of 20 ga, 2-3/4”, #5’s?

Thanks,

Jay
Jay, just a suggestion, you might want to pattern #5's and #6's from your 20 bore. Through much pattern testing with Parker 20 bores, I have found that the #6's pattern measurably better from a 20 bore. Your gun may be different, but I don't use anything larger than 6's in the 20 bore and 7 1/2 in a 28 bore. No doubt there are 20 bores that handle 5's well, but I don't own one. 20 bore #6's will handle ducks well out to about 40 yards or so from a full choke gun, in my experience extensively shooting ducks in Saskatchewan and locally. In my opinion, that is the maximum distance for the 20 bore and only in full choke. Try to stretch the 20 bore and you will wind up with wounded birds some of which don't drop where they can be recovered with a good dog.

When shooting a 12 bore at geese and ducks, I use only the old pigeon load of 3 1/4 drams (1200 fps) and 1 1/4 ounce of shot. Relatively light recoil and short shot strings make for a superior waterfowl load. I like 6's for ducks and 4's for the geese. I don't skybust and make sure the waterfall are well within the range of my loads.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: