View Single Post
"progressive" powders and tight patterns
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default "progressive" powders and tight patterns

from my readings, one of the factors in the early twentieth century search for a range shotgun and a load for it (such as the original Super-X) was the development of "progressive" powders - more of a ever increasing push of building velocity rather than an sudden explosion and set back of the charge.

the thought as I understand it (and believe it) was that a gentler start and then building of the load's velocity as it moved down the barrel damaged fewer pellets and resulted in a tighter down range pattern.

if you look at modern power manufacturer's descriptions you see fast burning and slow burning powders - or no reference at all to burn rate and nothing about "progressive"

my guess would be -for a good as any of my guesses are - is that "slow burning" is the modern equivalent of "progressive" in marketing speak

now - the reason for the thought-

this year I will be feeding a battery of duck guns - a Super Fox, a 3 frame Parker and a Smith Longrange - all 12's of course with heavy barrels

I think is would be interesting to try to replicate the performance of the waterfowl loads like the original Super-x as near as possible with modern components - Nice Shot or bismuth-- understanding these are not copper plated lead and I will likely use plastic wads - although that is not a given

i have a summer to experiment at the pattern board -
i do have a 10ga load from Pete's great chart that will pattern some old high antimony lead 4's at 91/92 percent at 40 yards out of my tighter than heck British short ten - with IMR7625 as the propellant - so I may start the quest with that powder and that shot or some old copper 6's and can then limit the non-tox testing some due to the cost of the shot-

and before all the nay-saying - no - i don't think i can shoot like Mr Buck and am not intending to sky bust at 80 yards

just looking to have a little fun and see a nice even tight pattern that will do the job if i do mine - and a clean hit or a clean miss rather than a cripple down in the thick part of the marsh

and I do think it would be interesting to see what the old guns can do with as good of a representation of the loads they were designed around as can be recreated now a days

so- with an1 1/4 oz of shot- what load recipe would you try?