View Single Post
8 ga loads
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 8 ga loads

today i started reloading and shooting the 8 ga at 9.00 am and quit at 3.15 pm...i fired the 8 ga a total of 63 times....my main reson was to try and come up with a slug load for hunting deer with.....in todays trial and error i learnt a few things..i was reloading the whinster case and using bluedot powder and working with a 7/8 ounce load of no 6 shot....in my previous loadings i had trouble with the loads acting like a slug load..in other words shot would not scatter...today i found exactly what the problem was.. the wading i was using over shot was going inside of the wad...no air could catch the side of the wading thus it all stayed together acting as a slug load.......2nd thing i learned was thati am going to have to practice a whole lot before i can acuately shoot it.....my target was a 30 inch card board circle... the distance was 40 yards....the grouping was aabout 1 foot..which is not to good by any means....the old shotgun was a 8 ga parker lifter gun with barrels cut to 26 1/4 inches...choke none...the end bead site is huge but fits the size of gun that it is...wish it hadrifle sites but would look odd...ha......3rd thing i learned was that the man who said that a 7/8 ounce load and a 6 bore would pattern the best possible pattern must have been right.... i do not have a6 bore to experment with but through a 8 ga i do...some of the patterns were notreally beliveable..one of the patterns to day was all the shot in a pie plate at 40 yards....all my loads were not that good of a pattern still got to work on them...the test were also done with same gun....cly bore with the rite loads may be possible to have a long range load in the larger gauges....only through more test will i know if i have come up with some very close patterning shells with only using 7/8 ounce shot...one thing for sure i have me a slug load using 7/8 ounce of no sixs...if i can learn how to hit with it......4 th and final thing learned...after you have loaded the plastic shells about 5 timesignition gets poor...the gas seal is not good getting a blooper pretty often..you would have to get a nther shell case but i fond by wrapping the wading with3/4 inch scotch masking tap with four wraps to bottom of wadding letting tape extend 1.4 inch below wadding that a gas seal is made that there will be no poor ignition...hope this helps somebody sure did me... gotta get some sleep gotta get up early go squirl hunting.......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: