View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Now reading the load data to include the shot weight, this seems like a low velocity 12-gauge trap load except for the bismuth shot which is even less effective than lead.

Rolling back the calendar several decades to the lead shot days, would you be taking a light trap load but with shot that's only about 80% as dense as lead, to a duck blind? I wouldn't.
I agree. But I don't underestimate the effectiveness of light loads for controlled conditions duck hunting. I used to take my Holland 28 bore to Sasketechewan on my annual two weeks trips there. I sometimes used it for ducks in sloughs and kept my shots to 35 yards or less. In Sasketechewan you can pick and choose your shots on the breeding grounds. Few cripples and good performance with the little 3/4 oz. 28 bore load. It's a kick taking ducks with the litle Holland. And it was a great snipe gun. Tons of snipe around those sloughs. The 28 bore is not a serious duck gun, but its fun to play with under controlled conditions practising restraint.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote