View Single Post
Unread 05-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Without a top locking lug or cross bolt, cartridge is somewhat restricted to lower velocity/ pressures. As much as I enjoy 45-70, I think a flatter shooting round is more appropriate for this type of gun. As Brian suggested, there's nothing wrong with the old timers like 30-40 (.30 US), .303 British or .300 Savage. For simplicity, I'd stick with the rimmed cartridges, but don't I wish that action could handle .375 FNE.
Edgar,
I did some calculations using Ellis Brown's formulas for building rifles on shotgun actions.

A 12g. shell with max average SAAMI pressures of 11,500psi ends up calculating to 7,086 psi of force against the breech face. That is a safe number given use of any factory 12g. load. Not talking proof loads.

I calculate the .35 Rem to be well under those pressures with force against the breech face being only 5,564 psi.

The 30-40 Krag calculates to 9,326 psi and the .32 Special is 8,441 psi.

So, based on the numbers, the .35 Rem looks like the best option.
I am sure that realistically the others would be plenty fine as well if one were to adjust the 12g calculation upwards to factor in proof pressures. But why push the envelope.