Thread: Restored DH 10
View Single Post
Shaping and Polishing Screws
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Larry Angus
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shaping and Polishing Screws

Regarding loading the screws/bolts in a drill, great idea, you could load them in a press with tape around the threads. The final polishing could be done while loaded in the press or drill with a dremel buffing wheel and the various metal buffing compounds. You can get the compounds in various sticks that vary from abrasive to just polish.

I have used the polishing compounds many times on other restorations, but the drill ides is perfect since you need somthing to make sure the screw or bolt stays steady so as to end up with a uniform cone. I am sure this is just like wood working where patience is the key to get the end result you will like.

Another thought would be to load the screw or bolt in the dremel and steady your hand on the bench placing the shaping tool or sandpaper block in a vice. You don't want to heat the item up so as to scorch it, so slow and steady will be the key. I will try these various methods with the scrap stainless steel screws I have in my stock and let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
LarryAngus is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit LarryAngus's homepage!